Please help

Jordan1
New Contributor

Please help

My father has bowel cancer with possible spread. We have been told he is unsuitable for surgery and chemo due to him having copd. I keep reading about immunotherapy but when I ask his dr I get no joy, can anyone help in any way at all, this is particularly bitter because he was having yearly colonoscopies due to bowel cancer being hereditary and they told him they missed the cancer for 8 years, totally devastated and in need of help , any help much appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4
Lolie
Contributor

Re: Please help

I do think a second opinion is called for.  It sounds like they haven't yet established the exact extent of the cancer and are making the decision about what treatment to offer based on your father's general state of health.

Immunotherapy is generally not approved for use as a first line treatment - it's only approved for use when conventional first line treatments have failed.

You could ask your doctors to look into trials, but the COPD may be a barrier to accessing these, too.

0 Kudos
Carlz9
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jordan, 

I have colon cancer and I am on chemo and immunotherapy. The immunotherapy for bowel cancer isn't great, unlike melanoma and some other cancers. They need to do DNA testing on a biopsy, they hopefully took this when they found the tumour? And then depending on the results, either wild-type RAS or mutated RAS, they can work out what is best. I don't know what qualifies patients under the PBS though. Be aware these have some bad side effects and need to be carefully considered, as they are not a cure, but might slow things down a bit.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions I am happy to help with my very limited knowledge. 

Carly

Jordan1
New Contributor

Hi Carly Thankyou for your reply, I wasn’t aware of the RAS thing but I will look into it

i wish you all the very best and hope you get better soon 

thanks again xx

Jordan1
New Contributor

Thankyou for taking the time to help xx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.