Practical help whilst undergoing surgery

Lisa2
Occasional Contributor

Practical help whilst undergoing surgery

How does one prepare your family for surgery? I'm due for laparotomy in November and will be in hospital for at least a week. Hubby is working full time (also dealing with his emotions re my treatment/ diagnosis). Two young children at school. I'm worried for my five year old who missed me dearly when i was away one night in hospital. 

Friends and families have offered to help. But not sure how. What kind of help have you found useful from friends and families? 

2 REPLIES 2
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Practical help whilst undergoing surgery

Hi Lisa2,

Definitely take up the offers of help.  How each of them could help would largely depend on how much time each of them have, & how much trust you have in them.  Cooking & cleaning, babysitting, taxi-ing etc are just a few things they can help with.  Don't be afraid of asking for what you need, although, it's a time when you'll find out who your true friends are.

Also, maybe talk with someone at the hospital after your surgery to see if they will allow some extended visiting hours for your hubby & kids.  It may ease your 5 year olds anxiety a little.  Maybe she might even be allowed to sleep there one or two nights?

Re your hubby, has he had any counselling? because it sounds like he could do with some.  I hope it all goes smoothly for you anyway.

Budgie 

0 Kudos
Lisa2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Practical help whilst undergoing surgery

Thanks Budgie.

Yes, hubby is having counselling. 

I'll ask if the hospital would let my 5yo stay for a couple of nights. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.