Question about Capecitabine (Xeloda} positives and negatives

mopity
New Contributor

Question about Capecitabine (Xeloda} positives and negatives

I am about to embark on a journey of chemo and I am terrified, I have bowel cancer and although I haven't been told officially I think from my readings it is stage 3 or C which make me even more scarred. My chemo will be at home with oral tablets so if anyone can share information they have experienced with this drug or the tablets I will be very grateful. I have read heaps of info on the net but I would like to hear from real people. Stay well and Happy Mopity
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
samex
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about Capecitabine (Xeloda} positives and negatives

hi Mopity, In August 2007 I was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer after emergency surgery. My chemo regime was different in that I had a picc line with oxalipalitin and 5FU every 2 weeks so I can't help you with the effects of the drug that you will be given. I had to stop work (teacher) while I was on chemo as the tiredness was too debilitating but I don't know whether your drugs will have the same effects. On the plus side, I found the staff at the clinic(relatively large public hospital in Sydney) where I had treatment to be enormously supportive and my doctor gave me heaps of information about side effects etc. Will you be seeing your oncologist before you start treatment? If you are, ask, ask, ask. That's what they are there for. Good luck with it all. Hopefully someone else may be able to assist with specifics. Samex PS Did you have surgery?
0 Kudos
mopity
New Contributor

thankyou samex, yes i did have surgery quite sucessfully and have seen an oncologist who i find negative and only talks statistically so i thought by talking here i might find someone who has first hand knowledge
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Hi Mopity I was diagnosed with advanced aggressive bowel cancer last August. I came through surgery successfully then a month later I started chemo - Capecitabine through a drip at the hospital, everything went great for about 4 weeks - no side effects whatsoever so I considered my self the luckiest person - that stopped suddenly - stomach problems, nausea, pain- anyway I continued on that and my Oncologist put me on oral chemo - Xeloda - which made me lose my appetite. Everything tasted disgusting and every time I tried to eat - to the toilet!!!! As a result I lost a lot of weight and was very weak. I have heard and read some great things about Xeloda - it targets and kills cancer cells - I was prepared to put up with the side effects but my doctors decided that they were too severe and took me off xeloda. One week off and I was feeling fantastic so they decided to keep me off it - as off it improved my quality of life. Since then - feeling wonderful - I had my 3rd scan since my operation- all optimistic - then shot down - I now have growths on one lung and my liver which had 14 tumours has responded well except for one which has increased in size. Now I am off the chemo infusion also - they have to determine why the chemo is helping my liver and not the lung and decide what course of action to take next. As my oncologist said 'new drugs,new side effects' - can't wait!! I am not sure if my life story helped you at all - sorry that I went on a bit(!). If you don't have horrid side effects stick with xeloda - I would.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi Mopity, If your oncologist is so negative, are you in a position to speak to someone else and/or change doctors? I am lucky that all of my doctors are open and will always answer questions as asked. Have you a GP that you can talk to and ask questions? Good luck with it all, Samex
0 Kudos
Not applicable

hello 2 you mopity, ive just come off 12 weeks of zeloda with mixed feelings and side effects.this being my 3rd round of chemo but my 1st on zeloda.i too have lost alot of my taste also a rash on my hands and the skin on my feet and hands has comletely blistered and peeled off...attractive look lol .my dose was reduced 3 times but finally 2 tabs 1000mgs xtwice a day seems ok.ive just been ceased by my oncologist so will see how long it takes 4 the skin 2 grow back. i do hope you have good luck with it bigmumma
0 Kudos
Julibean
Occasional Contributor

I have bowel cancer stage 3c. My surgery went really well. I'm on the capecitabine oral chemo for 8 cycles now in my 2nd. I have 3000mg a day and also my oxaliplatin infusion every 3 weeks . I find the capecitabine way easier to manage than the infusion . I get a bit of nausea, some neuropathy , dry skin , lips and if course tiredness ! All very manageable at the moment . Make sure you have a variety of anti nausea meds to keep nausea at bay so you can eat. Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
whimsy1
Occasional Visitor

Hi mopity.

In 2016 I was diagnosed with stage 3c colon cancer.  I had surgery and then started a treatment plan with infusions of Oxaliplatin and 5FU.  The Oxaliplatin was hard to deal with... nauseau, neuropathy, fatigue.  But I got through it and was found to be what I thought was cancer free. Actually I was in remission.  a year and a half later, a scan showed that the cancer had returned to the lymphy nodes but had not spread to any other organs.  I started another round of chemotherapy.  This time, Irenotecan and 5 FU infusions.  I had hair loss, nausea and foot problems but again, it was doable and I was pronounced in remission.  I then started on a maintenance plan (for life) or until new research knocks it out once and for all.  The maintenance plan is taking Capecitabine (Xeloda) in pill form for 2 weeks on and 1 week off, and an infusion every 3 weeks of Avastin.  While these drugs suppress the immune system, the side effects are much lighter than with aggressive chemo.  I still tire more easily and sometimes have foot and hand dryness but no nausea and I'm dancing, gardening, and traveling again.  I don't know what drugs you're taking but I have found that having a positive attitude and lots of support really help in the healing process.  Take good care of yourself, use an oncologist who is very thorough, will answer all your questions, and will talk to you about nutrition as well.  Stay positive.  No need to be terrified.  With all the advances in cancer reearch, it has given us long, strong lives.  I wish you well.  We are cancer warriors and we do prevail.

Jane_gre

Hi Julibean. Thanks for your post, I found it quite encouraging as next week will be starting chemo with the same drugs that you had. I have had a bowel resection for stage 3 bowel cancer 6 weeks ago. How are you now? hope you are in wonderfully good health these days. Kind regards 🙂 Jane
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.