Round 2

Lisa170
Occasional Contributor

Round 2

I started my 2nd round of oxaliplatin on Thursday. The dose was lower this time so its been slightly easier. Just horrid instead of omg I'm dying. If i can get through the next few days it'll get easier and then I can look forward to the halfway mark of treatment. I really hate chemo.

8 REPLIES 8
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Round 2

Congratulations Lisa.

So you are doing 6 rounds?

Which other drugs are you taking?

How are you going with side effects?

0 Kudos
Lisa170
Occasional Contributor

I'm doing 4, 21 day cycles with oxaliplatin followed by capecitabine tablets. Side effects are nausea, exhausted, insomnia and jittery. Its really not fun. But gotta mop up in there.
thesanasoul
Occasional Contributor

I hope chemo gets easier for you Lisa.  It can be so frustrating when you feel like rubbish but keep going. 

All the best 🙂

0 Kudos
JohnDenning59
Contributor

Hello Lisa, sorry to hear about the side-effect. I know them only too well after having had my sixth chemo treatment today. But there is another way, I've only recently discovered, to look at things.

The moment they told me last week after a mid-chemo CT can that y pancreatic tumour has shrunk from 4cm to 1.3cm after five treatments, I now embrace chemo. I say, bring on the jitters, the tiredness, the taste, the smell, everything. As I see it, if it's making me feel bad, imagine how those damn cancer cells are feeling. And the answer to that is simple, clearly not very good at all. they are under attack and they are losing.

Good luck, Lisa. Embrace the power of what is now surging through your body, regardless of the symptoms.

JD

Lisa170
Occasional Contributor

Every time it gets hard and I want to quit, I look at my 8 year old. He needs his mum to be there for at least another 40 years. Another few weeks of this is nothing compared to holding grandchildren one day. I tell the oncologist that I'll do whatever I'm told, but I'm allowed to complain about it as much as I want.

Good luck with your fight! Sounds like you're on the right track!
JohnDenning59
Contributor

Well, with a young child, you have one of the best motivations there is, and I wish you so much luck. I'm a bit older than you. My eighth grandchild, a boy, just entered this world yesterday. 

Again, best wishes.

JD

Lisa170
Occasional Contributor

Oh that's wonderful news! Grandads are very important people so enjoy him!
0 Kudos
JohnDenning59
Contributor

I will, thanks, he's beautiful. 

JD

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.