Starting Radiotherapy

Not applicable

Re: Starting Radiotherapy

Hi Silly, Hope your travelling well. Thanks so much for your info, it is certainly a scary proposition, getting closer now, I have planning on Wed (22.2.12) and then into it I guess. I wish my neck was not involved I can assure you, I just hope I hold up to the treatment,( I tell myself, look there is 1000's of people who have done this before you and they did it, so you can to!) Its been a rude shock as I do not even take panadol/aspirin unless I really need it and now they are going to give my body that harsh stuff just because of a lousy cell. Im supposed to lose a patch of hair to, hope that doesnt happen, but oh well each day 6ft above ground is better than some hair loss! Cheers and hugs
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I wasn't worried about the bald patches as I was told that it would grow back a few months later .If it had happened and looked bad I would've got a wig as they look good . Y ou will also be offered the Look Good Feel Better workshop. W omen bring along make up ,wigs etc. and you are shown how to use the products. When the nurse told me about it I didn't know if I was interested or not and she saisd go along as you get free things. These are donated by many different companies.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Everyone, Well my love affair with the Radio Machine (Linear thingy isnt it?) officially starts on 7.3.2012 for 6 wks, Im abit daunted, but I know that this has got to be done! (Universe protect my body as best you can). I have another problem though, I dont know if anyone can help me, I had swelling on the left side from my neck dissection, and when I went had my mask moulded, that night my chin started to play up, swell and tingle. It is warm to the touch and comes and goes but never quite goes away, gets uncomfortable. I suspect it is lymph trying to find a new way through the neck, and Im wondering when they put the mask on, did they move it down into the chin area? My next question is, how the hell do I get rid of this? Anyone have suggestions or ideas, treatments? Cheers Leesa
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi there sorry I have been tied up and not in this sight , I have had two lots of radiation therapy and yes a neck dissection , I had it 12 months ago and yes my neck is still swollen but it's starting to reshape I was unlucky that they found a mass but lucky that te mass was not cancer only the lynth node but they took a large chunk out and for me it was hard to adapt to , but there are so many more with harder things to cope with. I had the burning etc but try Manuka honey I swear by it the second radiation treatment was a bigger area but I did not feel as bad as I did the first time. Is also really important to try to maintain your weight even though it gets hard to swallow I found the dairy section in the supermarket ate lots of yoghurt and custards . Let me know if I can help , don't worry to much about the mask it's tight fitting but it has to be but you only have it on for a few minutes at a time.
0 Kudos
bugger
Contributor

Hi Leesa, If you suspect the swelling is lymphoedema, then check with the following: The Lymphoedema Association of Queensland Australasian Lymphology Association (ALA) Australian Lymphoedema Support Groups From one of these sites, "Early signs and symptoms of lymphoedema can be intermittent and may include: - transient swelling of a limb or other region of the body - Infection (due to lymph stasis) is often the first sign of a problem - feelings of aching, heaviness, stiffness in the affected body part limitation of movement - tightness or temperature changes to areas of the body - clothing, jewellery or shoes may feel tighter - swelling may be aggravated by heat, overuse, sustained positions and prolonged - inactivity and be more obvious at the end of the day" March is lymphoedema awareness month, so now is a good time to get help. All the best with the Rx treatment, symptoms don't usually occur before the 2nd week. It's a tough road ahead, but do whatever you can to maintain nutrition. Hospitals & chemists have a Nestle Product called Resource Plus, its a 360 calorie lactose free drink in a 8fl oz package, bit like Sanitariums Up&Go drinks. If you need strong pain medication and have problems with constipation, ask for Targin. It's still not on the PBS (cost was about $3.50/day) and unknown to many doctors, but provides strong pain relief without some of the side effects.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Rodney and Bugger, Much appreciated. Cheers Leesa
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi there hope thiings are going ok for you
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.