TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation

Linda_Munro
New Contributor

TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation

Hi my name is Linda and I'm looking for information from anybody who has had a TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation. It seems it is a rare combination and I would love to know what others have experienced. I was diagnosed in April 2011 with breast cancer, had a mastectomy , reconstruction done in June. Unfortunately 11/18 lymph nodes were affected so Chemo started in July and radiation finished in December. Is there anyone out there that can help?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Allicat
Contributor

Re: TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation

Hi Linda, Sorry, I can't help as I had different treatment (chemo followed by a mastectomy and silicone implant) but I just wanted to say hi. I find this good site for talking about general issues but I suggest the BCNA website www.bcna.org.au as more helpful for questions relating specifically to breast cancer. You have had a rough year. I hope you are not feeling too bad. You can come here and vent about anything you like. Best wishes
0 Kudos
Linda_Munro
New Contributor

Thanks Allicat. I am still going through it . It seems that I have had an unusual reaction to most of my treatments. The most disconcerting one is the in -out of a clear brain. This has been happening since 4th of November so that is 4 months. I have a few clear lucid hours every two or so days then drop back into a fog where nothing feels quite real. I am a teacher so I haven't been able to return to school this term. Two of my friends who also went through Curtin University in the 1990's had a tour of Notre dame University here in Perth, back in June 2011,just two days before I had my surgery and discovered a programme that a guy is writing his doctorate on, the role exercise and talking play in breast cancer recovery. On Friday when I came into a clear brain I remembered writing the details down, a phoned to see if this could be for me. The long and short is that I start with a group of six other ladies on Monday. ( tomorrow) It runs for a couple of hours three mornings a week for 8 weeks. This is just what I need to stop from going stir crazy !! I appreciate you replying to my comment on the intro. When I am in a chemo head I sometimes think I have stopped existing. I intend to start a support group in my area when I am a bit further down the track. thanks again for your reply regards Linda.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I just want to say hello. I have a different cancer so can't help. I am also a teacher but don't teach since cancer. I was only doing relief work before but loved it. All the best with your treatment.
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

Hi Linda, That sounds really difficult and annoying. I had relatively mild side effects from chemo. Is the group both talking and exercising? I hope it will be helpful for you. I have been going to a counsellor for nearly a year and talking to her has helped a lot. I also do a lot of exercise which definitely helped me not go insane while I was having chemo. I always feel better after exercising. Best Wishes
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.