TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation

New Contributor

TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation

Hi my name is Linda and I'm looking for information from anybody who has had a TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation. It seems it is a rare combination and I would love to know what others have experienced. I was diagnosed in April 2011 with breast cancer, had a mastectomy , reconstruction done in June. Unfortunately 11/18 lymph nodes were affected so Chemo started in July and radiation finished in December. Is there anyone out there that can help?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Contributor

Re: TRAM reconstruction followed by chemo and radiation

Hi Linda, Sorry, I can't help as I had different treatment (chemo followed by a mastectomy and silicone implant) but I just wanted to say hi. I find this good site for talking about general issues but I suggest the BCNA website www.bcna.org.au as more helpful for questions relating specifically to breast cancer. You have had a rough year. I hope you are not feeling too bad. You can come here and vent about anything you like. Best wishes
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks Allicat. I am still going through it . It seems that I have had an unusual reaction to most of my treatments. The most disconcerting one is the in -out of a clear brain. This has been happening since 4th of November so that is 4 months. I have a few clear lucid hours every two or so days then drop back into a fog where nothing feels quite real. I am a teacher so I haven't been able to return to school this term. Two of my friends who also went through Curtin University in the 1990's had a tour of Notre dame University here in Perth, back in June 2011,just two days before I had my surgery and discovered a programme that a guy is writing his doctorate on, the role exercise and talking play in breast cancer recovery. On Friday when I came into a clear brain I remembered writing the details down, a phoned to see if this could be for me. The long and short is that I start with a group of six other ladies on Monday. ( tomorrow) It runs for a couple of hours three mornings a week for 8 weeks. This is just what I need to stop from going stir crazy !! I appreciate you replying to my comment on the intro. When I am in a chemo head I sometimes think I have stopped existing. I intend to start a support group in my area when I am a bit further down the track. thanks again for your reply regards Linda.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I just want to say hello. I have a different cancer so can't help. I am also a teacher but don't teach since cancer. I was only doing relief work before but loved it. All the best with your treatment.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Linda, That sounds really difficult and annoying. I had relatively mild side effects from chemo. Is the group both talking and exercising? I hope it will be helpful for you. I have been going to a counsellor for nearly a year and talking to her has helped a lot. I also do a lot of exercise which definitely helped me not go insane while I was having chemo. I always feel better after exercising. Best Wishes
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.