Tamoxifen

Jo71
Occasional Contributor

Tamoxifen

hello my name is Jo im 49 i have been on Tamoxifen  for six months and have started to have very bad side effects  i feel dizzy my anxiety  has worsened i have depression i already  had anxiety  before starting  these tablets so that is heightened is this normal please can someone give me some answer's. 

7 REPLIES 7
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tamoxifen

I'm so sorry to hear that though I do not have answers for your questions. I pray for your health!
0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Hi @Jo71 and welcome to the community ❤️

Sorry to hear about the side effects you are experiencing. Have you been in touch with your breast care nurse or treatment team at all?

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Jo71
Occasional Contributor

I have now taken myself of tamoxifen and am starting to feel normal again its only been 6 days only lasted 7 months now what to do
0 Kudos
OzStu
Contributor

Was the Tamoxifen being used to treat currently detectable breast cancer or as a precautinary measure to prevent recurrence?

0 Kudos
Jo71
Occasional Contributor

Hello it was to stop recurrence because my breast cancer was aggressive 

0 Kudos
OzStu
Contributor

Ok,  well I suppose it's up to you after assessing the risk.  I assume you have exhausted other possibilities for alleviating the side affects.   But have you thought about the side affect of possible loss of peace of mind.  After you're not taking it, will you worry all the time about the cancer coming back?  That may end up making your feel worse.

0 Kudos
OzStu
Contributor

Just been reading about this Jo.  Apparently the side affects are pretty much like going through an abrupt menopause.  Apparently the side affects will lesson as time goes on.  Your body slowly adjusts to the absence of the hormones apparently.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.