The Next Stage for me

Oldman
Contributor

The Next Stage for me

Hello,I have woken up a bit worried today as yesterday was just full on.I start with the chemo and radiation next week for six weeks.This should get me ready for surgery in January I hope.They are going to take out the lower section of my bowel but hope to reattach but this may not work.I'm sure a lot of other people have been through this and managed okay but I'm worried as we are having number 4 baby in April and I want to be around to enjoy that. SO if anyone has some tips on how to handle the chemo or radiation please let me know.Thanks,Oldman ((Kevin)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Kaza
Occasional Contributor

The Next Stage for me

Hi Oldman, Everyone that is hit with the "C" word has their own special journey. When doing the treatment you do feel very weak, but you do get through it even stronger. Good luck   Kaza
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

The Next Stage for me

Hi Kevin, I can't speak from personal experience when it comes to chemo and I'm not really sure what advice to offer in terms of managing it other than "take it easy". But I just wanted to check up and see how you're going. Is your chemo once per week?m
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

The Next Stage for me

Hello Kaza, Well I went and met my Chemo Doc today, I start next week on four tables a day for two weeks, then have two weeks off and finish off with another two weeks at the end of the Radiation treatment. Thank you for sharing your story as it is nice to know that I'm not alone (sorry that sounds a bit corny but you know what I mean) Oldman (Kevin)  
0 Kudos
Kaza
Occasional Contributor

The Next Stage for me

Hi Kevin I had two tumours removed last November (2006) one on either side of the bowel, both were cancerous.  I had 80% of my bowel removed as well as one ovary and my gall bladder. I finished chemo in June this year after 6 months of treatment, one dose (which went over 3 days)  every fortnight.  I had a few side affects which today I still get the tingling and numbness in my fingers and feet.  I found the chemo very draining, not at first but after the 3rd dose i lost a lot of weight as I had the runs which made me dehydrated, I couldnt have anything really cold to eat or drink as it gives you a bit of a shock and I was very tied.  I didnt lose my hair but it thinned out a bit. Close to the end of my treatment I found I had some clots in my lungs. I have been on clexane to thin my blood for 6 months.  I finish this week.  So my story sounds all gloom and doom but today when people see me they wouldnt think I had ever been sick.  They say I look years younger.  I hope my story helps a little bit. Kaza
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.