Treatment week 1

Andz
Occasional Contributor

Treatment week 1

Hi all,

Diagnosed in August 2019 with HPV16+ - t1n2pn1m0. Tonsil and lymph node (left hand side).  Had a neck desertion and tonsil removal(Tors) and took 3 weeks to recovery.  Saw 2 DR's and an oncologist afterwards and decided to not have Chemo or radiation as the 5mm margins were negative.  Had a 12 month PET scan and cancer has returned to my right side tonsil and lymph node. Two primaries is rare.  In the PET scans before and after the op there was no detection on the right side.  Decided not to have another op and headed to the Charles cancer center for treatment.  Attended the Charles Cancer center and agreed to Radiation and Chemo treatment plan.  Radiation being the hard hitter and Chemo supplementing the Radiation.  Saw a dentist, speech therapist and dietitian.  I've been well looked after.

Plan - Work until early afternoon and then have the treatment. Continue to run through out.

Week 1 Completed - 1 x Chemo on Monday & 5 x Radiation (Mon - Fri)

Treatment - Chemo and Radiation on Monday and radiation the rest of the week

Feeling:  Emotional, nauseas, fatigue and taste bud taste like rubber.

Plan:  Felt good until Thursday, then hell let lose. Tired emotion , nauseas and Fatigue for Friday and Saturday. Recovered on Sunday. Back at wok today.

6 more weeks seems a fair distance away with what I experienced this weekend, however I have to do what I have to do. 

9 REPLIES 9
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Treatment week 1

That's it....you gotta do what you gotta do!

I hope the treatment doesn't get too bad for you. Keep a good attitude if you can, & try to keep up your fluids.

All the best @ Andz.

Budgie
Andz
Occasional Contributor

Eating:  Spicy rice dishes are yummy, strawberry jam on toast,  yoghurt, custard and rice pudding.

Sweets: Lifesavers, Soothers (Butter Menthol and Eucalyptus Menthol).

Mouth Rinse: Salt water, Oral 7 and water.

Cream: Aloe Vera lotion.

Tea and coffee, were my favorite,  now taste terrible. At least I am saving money on buying  2 coffees a day.

Andz
Occasional Contributor

Treatment Week 2 Completed

Plan: Work until early afternoon and then have the treatment at 3pm. Continue to run 4 times a week.

Treatment: Radiation - Mon - Fri

Feeling: Week 2 was a none Chemo week so I felt good. My mouth has start to be itchy. Taking soluble Panadol every 6 hours.

Exercise: Running 5 km x 4 times a week

Eating: Trying to eat normal and convince my taste buds its delicious. Spicy rice dishes, strawberry jam on toast, yoghurt, custard and rice pudding.

Mouth Rinse: Salt water, Oral 7 and 3-4 liters a day water.

Andz
Occasional Contributor

Treatment Week 3 Completed Plan: Work until early afternoon and then have the treatment at 3pm.

Feeling: Week 3 was a none Chemo week so I felt good. I’ve started to get small ulcers in my mouth cavity. Taking soluble Panadol every 6 hours.

Exercise: Running 5 km x 4 times a week

Eating: Trying to eat normal and convince my taste buds its delicious. Spicy rice dishes, strawberry jam on toast, yoghurt, custard and rice pudding.

Mouth Rinse: Salt/BiCarb water, Oral 7 and 3-4 litres a day water.

Cream: Aloe Vera lotion

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi @Andz,

If the mouth ulcers get too sore, see if your GP will prescibe some lignocaine/lidocaine for you. It is fantastic stuff for taking the pain away.

Budie
0 Kudos
Andz
Occasional Contributor

Week 4 Completed - Tough week Plan: Work until early afternoon and then have the treatment at 3pm.

Treatment: Chemo - Mon, Radiation - Mon - Fri

Feeling: Week 4 was a Chemo week so I felt bad. Nausea, fatigue, loss of all total taste, drier mouth and loss of appetite. 

Exercise: Running 5km x 4 times a week.

Eating: Eating has become an issue, can’t taste anything and don’t feel like eating.

• Brekky – Oats and milk (honey)

• Morning tea – 2 min noodles

• Lunch – fried rice

• Dinner - packed rice or noddles

Sweets: Soothers (Blueberry, Butter Menthol and Eucalyptus Menthol).

Mouth Rinse: Vingar (ulcers feel better), Salt/Bicarb water, Diffelan, Oral 7 and 3-4 litres a day water.

Andz
Occasional Contributor

Week 5 Completed – Easier week

Plan: Work until early afternoon and then have the treatment at 3pm.

Feeling:  Week 5 was a normal radiation week only. loss of all total taste, drier mouth and loss of appetite.

Exercise:  Running 5km x 4 times a week.

Eating: Eating has become an issue, can’t taste anything and don’t feel like eating.

• Morning tea – Oats and milk (honey)
  • Lunch – fried rice

Sweets: Soothers (Blueberry, Butter Menthol and Eucalyptus Menthol).

Mouth Rinse: Salt/Bicarb water, Diffelan, Oral 7 and 3-4 litres a day water.

0 Kudos
Andz
Occasional Contributor

Week 6 & 7 Completed (Bigger, Better and Stronger)

Treatment completed

Week 6 was a normal radiation week only. loss of all taste, drier mouth and loss of appetite. Skin along the neck has become itchy and flaky

Week 7 was Chemo and radiation. Felt nausea and fatigues. No appetite. WFM and slept most days. Slight recovery on weekend.

Feeling:  Sick, nausea and fatigue. Felt down

Exercise:  Running 5km x 4 times a week.

• Morning tea – Oats and milk (honey)
  • Lunch – fried rice

Mouth Rinse: Salt/Bicarb water, Diffelan, pink lady and 3-4 litres a day water.

Cream: Sorbolene lotion.

0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Wow great progress, keep it up!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.