Very constipated-Coloxyl Softener Laxative?

The_Rowan
Contributor

Re: Very constipated-Coloxyl Softener Laxative?

Hi Dasha, I suggest your hubby tries eating dried prunes, apricots and figs...all natural laxatives. It sounds like the medications he is taking are causing him to become dehydrated. I know you have said that he drinks plenty of fluids, but if it is in the form of tea or coffee it will not be helping at all. Plain old water is the best way to go. I do hope that you find something that works for him quickly. It's no fun being constipated at the best of times, least of all when you have all the other things to deal with too. Gook luck. Rowan
0 Kudos
Rikki
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dasha Pear juice is usually great for this problem. Probably worth a try as a preventative, once the back log is moved on! Hope it sorts out Rikki
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

G'day Dasha, It is amazing I have a cosiderably shortened exhaust system yet I suffer as much from constipation as diahorreah.Over the years I have found that the best form of relief for me is epsom salts. My gastroenerologist suggested I take half a spoon full in warm water. I tried that . If she had have been close I would have throttled her after I stopped gagging that is. The solution I came up with was to buy a bag of gel capsules from the chemist. They hold just the right amount and are easy to swallow-no taste at all.I have used them whilst on diuretics(odema) and methotrexate and arava. They are considerd mild and not habit forming. One of the new colonoscopy preps requires taking around 150 of them so they are not dangerous. I found they did not work at that dose ,I think the gel in the caps clogged up the works. When I was taking codeine based pain killers they were life savers. I don't have any worries now ,diabetes drugs have the oposite effect for me ,I'm just careful not to sneeze. All the best to you and your husband,Hugs,Ron.
0 Kudos
KazPlus2
New Contributor

Has anyone suggested Movicol? Can be bought over the counter or cheaper on prescription if you have a concession card. Its a sachet, you dissolve in water and drink, and its not too bad. Fairly gentle most of the time and safe enough for small kids in its lower doses. My mother-in-law has had some issues with constipation due to her oxycodone needed for pain control and this has helped more than anything else. Hope it helps!
0 Kudos
Rubes1984
Contributor

Hi I use the coloxyl and movicol to assist with my constipation - I am on chemo and also on loads of medications. I find these do help. I also have increased my fibre intake (heaps of oats) and heaps more water intake. It is such an uncomfortable and emotionally draining thing constipation. I really pray this settles soon for ur husband and he is able to poo freely. Good luck Rubes
0 Kudos
cozzapa
New Contributor

my husband is having rchop chemo as well as lots of pain meds that make him constipated,.his oncologist made coloyx with senna part of his drug routine
0 Kudos
cozzapa
New Contributor

my husband is having rchop chemo as well as lots of pain meds that make him constipated,.his oncologist made coloyx with senna part of his drug routine
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.