Xeloda side effects

LuckyLarry
Occasional Contributor

Xeloda side effects

Hello, all,

I have stage IV anal cancer (squamous cell) and started 2,000 mg Xeloda per day ten days ago.  Fortunately, I have little nausea.  My problems have been exhaustion and feeling very stressed-out.  I've discovered a way to make both side effects more tolerable: eat big meals and eat when I feel hungry.  Xeloda suppresses my appetite so I need to go against instinct and eat a lot.  Yesterday I wasn't very hungry for breakfast and ate less than usual, then felt super exhausted and stressed-out all day and evening.  Today I prodded myself to eat a larger breakfast and today my energy and stress levels are near-normal.  Success story.  

And I do believe Xeloda is fighting the cancer.  My anus is the primary cancer source and the secondary source is lymph glands in my groin.  Since I started Xeloda, these glands have decreased in size by half.  My oncologist is pleased with this result.

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Xeloda side effects

Hello @LuckyLarry  and welcome!

I am glad to hear that your treatment is working well!!

How are you feeling this week?

-Kate

0 Kudos
LuckyLarry
Occasional Contributor

Re: Xeloda side effects

Dear Kate,

Many thanks.   I hope you're doing well also!

If you happen to suffer from depression, I could suggest a book that might help.

Best wishes,

Larry

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.