chemo.

misskim108
Occasional Contributor

chemo.

ok. had first chemo treatment. a week ago. 3 /4 days of feeling like I was hit by a bus. now. at midnight sudden burst of energy. w t h. ????? is this going to be the same for every treatment. or does it get worse. or do the side effects. get more. annoying.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Re: chemo.

Hi Misskim108, I am quite new to chemo as well - I am in my second 3-week cycle. On day one of cycle I have Cisplatin, Epirubicin and Fluorouracil. The next day is a write-off with extreme nausea, can't keep water down, can't swallow the anti-nausea tablets. Thankfully they've also given me Stemetil suppositories which help. The next two days nausea gradually less bad and able to start eating. I lose a couple of kilos in this first week. Along with the nausea is extreme tiredness. On the second and third weeks of chemo I have Fluorouracil 24/7 via porta-cath and only get slight nausea occasionally. These weeks I spend trying to regain the weight I lost! I am still working full time, mostly in the office but also have the option of working from home on the bad chemo days if I want. My hair started to fall out about week 4 and when it got too straggly and thin I shaved it all off - felt much better gone. Mouth ulcers started this week, mostly on my lips. Bicarb soda mouthwash and constant lip balm is helping heal these. But I understand everyone experience with chemo is different and also depends on what chemo you are on. Chemo is the only option for me (inoperable, incurable oesophageal cancer, spread to liver). I was on liquids only before starting treatment. I am now able to eat better each day, so I thnik the chemo must have already shrunk the tumor. For that I am more than willing to put up with one horrendous day per cycle! All the best and good luck! kathyhtak
0 Kudos
misskim108
Occasional Contributor

Re: chemo.

thank u for the reply. so sorry ur suffering. glad u are managing the best for u. it's good that work is being supportive. still not sure of the chemo drugs I'm on. work for me is. on hold. using all my leave work as a. A I n don't think I could cope. just now. working. as well as getting my head ard. all the things that are. cropping up. as I go. please take care. and. look after ur self
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.