constipation post op

jreindel
Not applicable

constipation post op

I had a hysterectomy last Tuesday, Dec. 2. Due to an ovarian tumor. I have not had a bowelmovement since. I could not hold down liquids today. I took 4 oz. of prune juice and 2 tsp. of milk of magnesia. Anyother suggestions?Janice
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Sharon55
Contributor

constipation post op

Hi Janice, I have just been through this with my husband. It was so bad that I had to take him to the hospital to get things moving again. Pear juice is really good, however the Oncologist suggested a cocktail of Senna granules(1tablespoon) and 20mls of Agarol in a glass of milk or with ice cream. This has worked a treat. Apparently a very old fashioned remedy but has worked and he now has one of these a day to keep things moving. It took 3-4 cocktails to get things on the go but still it worked. I was making him 3 a day to start with but now back to just 1. Good luck with it all, oh and just for a little while try a fairly liquid diet. Eg. milkshakes, soups etc. Of course check with your doctors first but this has worked for my husband.  
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.