exercise during treatment

Rubes1984
Contributor

exercise during treatment

I was wondering what people experiences of exercise during treatment? . I am currently having chemo and still recovering from a lobectomy (i now only have one lung and a little left of the other). At moment I am walking 20 to 30mins a day, it makes me short of breath and kicks my butt. However once resting my heart rate returns to normal as I s till have my fitness prior to surgery. What are safe levels of exercise that o should be doing? I would appreciate any input. Thanks Rubes
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: exercise during treatment

Because you had lung surgery ,you may need to talk to a health professional about this . Sorry ,can't help .
0 Kudos
Betsy
Occasional Contributor

I would suggest that you go to your GP and get a referral to an exercise therapist - they are usually an allied health professional and Medicare gives you a rebate for 5 visits per year. Then you are with somebody who is trained to devise stretches, exercises or whatever you would most benefit from, with the understanding that the expectation of what you can acomplish is baby steps building slowly to regain fitness. I think the mere fact that you are walking as long as you are is something to be very proud of. Determination is a great thing. Best of luck!
0 Kudos
Rubes1984
Contributor

Thanks for ur replies, saw my gp today and on Fri am seeing a nurse for a health care plan to see an exercise therapist. I am hopeful to get some good advice and exercise regime..... Gosh its.scary since starting chemo 4mths agI have put on 10kg. My team at the hospoital said its from dexamethasone. They were not worried, just happyy i wasn't losing weight. But honestly is making me a bit depressed. Hopefully some good advice will be given through this careplan.
0 Kudos
Betsy
Occasional Contributor

I'm so glad you have taken this step - the other thing that I did was to find a highly experienced Pilates teacher and I have an hour session with her once per week. I did have to wait until I could manage the hour, but they do start with half hours as well. I had trouble with the chemo affecting all my neural pathways and then the Nulasta shots after each round of chemo finished me off. So had to switch all muscles back on after finally getting on top of the pain. Exercises started out so very simple and I have gradually built on that over the past months - take heart, the only way is up. Even though I didn't really lose the weight from the exercise, I felt so much better that I was doing something and finally taking control instead of waiting for help that never came. My weight is now coming off as I reasearch and adjust my diet - but I had breast cancer so only had to have the dex for 3 days around my infusion. Best of everything that is good to you on your path. Would love to hear how you are progressing. B
0 Kudos
Rikki
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rubes Good on you for being pro active with the exercise . Pilates is a great idea too so you can tone your muscles without puffing yourself out too much. I have always done a fair bit of exercise so was back at the gym 4 weeks after my whipple surgery. I have always found it good for my head but I realize not everyone feels that way about exercise . I did find it hard by the time I got to the last month of my chemo although very different regime to yours. Good luck with it Rubes and keep up the walking Best wishes Rikki
0 Kudos
Kasa
New Contributor

Go Rubes. I wish I had that much energy. I'm flat out doing two laps of the cricket ground, twice a week. I can't imagine doing 20 mins a day.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.