long term chemo side effects

secondchance
New Contributor

Does anyone know the long term side effects of chemo?  I had 8 x chemo for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma 2 years ago and still feel not like I use to.  My energy levels are not the same and I feel very prone to viruses.  I also heard that secondary cancers are prevalent in later years caused from the chemo?  Regards Second Chance
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Quijote
Contributor

did you ever get an answer to this? I am coming upto cycle 6 (last one hopefully) and sideffects have been minimal so far.   cheers
0 Kudos
slipslop
Occasional Contributor

hi i have had 15 rounds of chemo. 6 with cisplatinum and Gemzar and 9 with carboplatinum and taxol. my last chemo was in march 2008. i had no response from the cisplatinum/gemzar and  i had a 100% response the taxol/carboplat regimen. the long term/permanent effects are from the cisplatinum are neuropathy (no smell or taste and numbness in my hands and feet) just this week i discussed this with my oncologist and he says its probably permanent. i must add that a secondary tumor was discovered in the left occipital lobe of my brain. i had a craniotomy on 20 october and the tumor was completely removed. i am having radiation and chemo (again!!) starting this coming monday. the cancer had also previously metastasized in my liver and lung. the primary cancer was in my bladder.
0 Kudos
AutumnSunrise
New Contributor

Re: long term chemo side effects

my husband says he has lost his ability to speak foreign languages as well, and his hair (previously straight) is curly now. i am not sure how the chemo works in changing the body, but considering our brains are beautiful and plastic, i know we always have the "second chance" to bounce back and learn new things. my heart goes out to you, blessings
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.