mastectomy recovery

margc
Occasional Contributor

Re: mastectomy recovery

HI INRSPIRIT, HOW U GOIN WITH RADIATION I HAVE HAD 9 SESSIONS AND STARTING THE FATIGUE THING ARMS AND LEGS ACHE, AND SWOLLEN ANKLES BUT NOT SURE IF THIS IS STILL RELATED TO CHEMO COCKTAIL OVER THE PAST 4 MONTHS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE END OF RADIATION, GOING EVERYDAY IS A KILLER BUT SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN CHEMO. TAKE CARE RADIOACTIVE HUGS FROM MARGC
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey AP ... good to hear you are doing good. I agree with the arm thats been affected or had the nodes taken. These days they wont even take blood pressure on those arms, although years ago they did and they would take blood too. I have never had any problems with lymphodema in that arm at all, which is pretty amazing as today it is far more common. I believe they have changed the way in which they perform the operation. I have been left with rather a large socket under my right arm now and these days that doesnt happen. They dont like injecting into the bits of my body that are numb from that op because if anything were to go wrong then i couldnt tell. Rather funny as this time i have had no surgery and radiation to the area affected by cancer and i am having problems with lymphodema. Weird!!
0 Kudos
inrspirit
Occasional Contributor

Thanks girls for reminding me of the risk of lymphodoema and injections/blood preassure cuffs/ wounds/etc. It is a new normal that I am still getting a grasp of. I had my 4th radiation session today (21 to go) and so far so good with little side effects beyond a 3 hour round trip tiredness, including a temporary shoulder ache. All take care inrspirit
0 Kudos
inrspirit
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, I have finally seen a physio almost 8 weeks post surgery. She has assured me that the tightness I am experiencing is muscular(pectoral) and will eventually, with specific stretches, loosen up. I should have full range of motion and maybe even back to swimming backstroke by next summer. I can only try and make it an aim. I the meantime, I have only 15 more radiation treatments to go and it still seems a long way until I can get back into a pool. I've been told that I can expect some skin tenderness and blistering on the scar site so a chlorine pool isn't the best idea in the short term, but can anyone recommend some good bathers to use with a prothsesis for when things heal? take care, Inrspirit
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

Hey Inrspirit.....that all sounds good! I had bilateral mast.and I would say that I regained full movement...absolutely. I did gym work....housework...you name it. I didn't see a physio, just told to take it easy for a few weeks, no lifting etc I didn't have rads and started immediate recon so no help with the bathers(sorry!) bit I'm sure someone wiil be able to help you there. Glad to hear that its all going well. AP
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Inrspirit I had a double mastectomy in October 2009 and now have 97% of full ROM etc and can do most things except for heave things ie moving furniture. I find I still find I'm having tenderness and tight pectoral muscles. I too am wondering how long it will take for the tightness and tenderness to go. I was given exercises by the hospital physio and then did an Encore (through YWCA) exercise program including water classes which we can do twice in the first year (I'm waiting until radiotherapy finishes which I start 24 May) and find that being in the water helps ie breast stroke, doing my land exercises in the water and so forth/ So I'm also interested in hearing how long it takes to get full ROM and full relaxation of the pec muscles. Cheers Deejjay
0 Kudos
frangipani
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, So nice to hear from you all. Yep I am one of those with a "dead underarm" it feels wierd. I dont expect to feel normal again but my physio says that I should do little round massages especially at the back, because of my mastectomy - the muscle (or fat who am i kidding) has lost its grip and is sagging. So with a little massage it should help. Regarding the numbness under the arm. it will always remain. I am scard that the cancer will return on my left breast and will talk to my surgeon at the next appointment to remove that breast as I do have cancer in my genes. I lost a sister with breast cancer. I believe that I could have reconstruction immediately after the surgery. Can somebody help me here as I dont want to live with the fear and going thru the whole episode again!
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Hi Frangipani I know it's while since you posted but have you had genetic testing. I have a couple of friends I've made who have breast cancer who have had or are undergoing genetic testing. The result may make it easier to make a decision although you will need some genetic counselling before making such a decision as well as it can come with it's own issues. Perhaps discuss this with your doctors. How's the muscle and feeling going under the armpit? Take care DJ
0 Kudos
inrspirit
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, It has been a while since I have been on this site (very busy with family and work) but it is great to hear how others are dealing with similar issues. Thanks for all of your feedback I still have a 'dead' underarm and I need to regularly stretch my arm and shoulder otherwise I notice that I'm loosing the flexibility I have been working on. I am booked in for a prophylactic mastectomy on the other side now with only a sentinal node biopsy. Have others had this proceedure and is the recovery and the prolong reduced movement expected? Thanks, inrspirit
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.