metastron for bone cancer pain

Krystal
Occasional Contributor

metastron for bone cancer pain

I just wanted to know if anyone has any information on metastron. I have heard that it can be used for bone cancer pain. My dad is really suffering from the pain and morphine and radiation is not working very well.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
ashes
Contributor

Re: metastron for bone cancer pain

Hi Krystal Metastron is used to help relieve bone pain by working inside the bone itself by giving off radiation. Google will have more info. Your Dad's pain seems so severe that this med may not work well enough. Morphine works well with Methadone and Oxycontin - well it works well for me and I have chronic and severe bone pain in many places on my body. It doesn't stop the pain all the time but takes the edge off. The only thing that stops the pain completely is Ketamine BUT it screws the brain up big time. I got to the stage where I begged to come off the K and go back onto my previous drugs and just deal with the pain. The K was that bad for me. Talk with the pain doctors as they are pretty good and also the doctors at palliative care. They are even better in finding ways to relieve the pain. Hope this helps Ash
0 Kudos
Krystal
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ash... Thank you for your response. My dad has since moved into palliative care as the hospital were no longer able to help him with his pain. He has since had his morphine increased and has had a few days without any pain. Today was a bad day though, he has a blood clot and since his platelets are so low he has had some bleeding from the nose and has coughed up some blood. We're hoping this is from the blood thinners but were not sure as yet. His morale is at an all time low and I think he's just had enough .... Not sure what to do or say .... It's so hard .... I hope your doing well and thank you for taking the time to help me once again xx
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

Hi Krystal Sorry for the late reply. I was glad to hear that your Dad has had some pain free days. It seems that Pall Care is the best place for him at the moment. I know fully how he feels and that his morale is low. It doesn't matter how strong a person is and how much they try to fight the disease it gets to everyone eventually. No one knows what to do and say and you feel so helpless BUT.. there is something that you can do to help his morale and to help yourself as well. The solution is that you don't need to say or do anything. It is so hard for you to do this but it will help. Just be there for him. Hold his hand. He will know you are there and you are showing him love at the time of his life when he needs it the most. He knows you cant say or do anything for him and he doesn't expect anything. He just wants you with him. Being surrounded by his closest family and friends will help to pick his moods up. It will help him to fight the pain and feel a bit better. It sounds silly and simple but that is what I want and maybe he wants it too. He is lucky to have you. Try not to beat yourself up over it. As we sail into the sunset remember to 'stay the course' Best wishes Ash
0 Kudos
Krystal
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Ash for your support xx Please tell me how you are. I hope you are doing well and have the same support. Your advice is really helpful to me at this time and I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

Hi Krystal Sorry I have been hiding away for a while. The chemo has hit me hard and I have been very unwell. I have no energy to even lift a little finger. This is cycle one only. I still have 3 more to go with this new drug. Tell me how your dad is. He is in my thoughts as you are too. I hope you are all dealing with it well. Remember a held hand is worth everything. Unfortunately I don't get the support I need or deserve but I just make do with what I have. It is the hardest thing for me. It is the saddest thing for me. I would have so much more strength to fight the cancer with people around me. Oh well, I do what I can with what I have. Today is the first day for a couple of weeks I have felt able to get up and do things. Hopefully the side effects will get better for a few days until the new cycle starts. So much to catch up on. My inbox is a mess !! Stay in touch and stay well. Regards Ash
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.