Face Masks

Lisy
Visitor

Face Masks

Hello 

I am currently undergoing chemotherapy & today I went for my blood test before chemo tomorrow at the cancer clinic. To my surprise I was only one wearing a mask, I am not sick just wanting to protect myself re covird 19. The nurses, receptionist, other patients not wearing them! I would of thought with myself and others being immune compromised everyone entering would/should be wearing them?  

12 REPLIES 12
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Face Masks

Morning @Lisy!

Interesting, did you happen to ask the staff there at all?

What do others here think? Have you been wearing masks to treatment or even out and about?

-Kate

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Lisy,

I always wear a mask when I go out, & lately, disposable gloves. My understanding is at the moment, the authorities don't think it's airborne & so don't consider wearing masks a necessity. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Take care
Budgie

kj
Super Contributor

I also wear a face mask and gloves ,when out but I am only attending medical appointments, I have a ct check  at the hospital today , fingers crossed.

Katekat
Valued Contributor

All the best with the scan @kj  😘

kj
Super Contributor

Apologies for hijacking thread

Thanks Kate

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

There's no such thing as hijacking a thread - all input is good. 😉
Katekat
Valued Contributor

What @Budgie said!

The forums are here to chat about anything and everything, hijack away 😘

Dazb
New Contributor

I scratch my head at this and think am I the only one who is seeing the information put out and yet masks are not recommended. The facts I have seen is that a sneeze will propel large droplets out to 2m and finer mist droplets out up to 8m, another fact is the virus is spread from droplets from an infected person, either airborne or picked up from surfaces where it can survive from hours to days.

Another fact is we have to stay 1.5m away from another person.

Another fact is that WHO and the government say a mask has no benefit trying to avoid catching the virus.

Advice seems to seriously contradict the facts here.

BUT... I see an article today where someone must have told them they could be wrong about masks.

Anyway I follow my own judgement and put my mask on when going to Bunnings or the supermarket.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2020/04/03/coronavirus-spread-through-breathing/?utm_sou...

lillian1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lisy, I wore a face mask in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago, even though I wasn't sick. I asked my oncology nurses last monday , when I had chemo, if it was necessary to wear one. They said not really . I was surprised that none of them were wearing masks either. Bit of conflicting information ! Personally I think anything helps, mind you my facemask is a bit stifling and have not been able to get a lighter weight one. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.