Abusive patients

Dizee12
Occasional Visitor

Re: Abusive patients

Hi,

This would be difficult. I would feel very sorry for the person in an abusive relationship already before the diagnosis.

My problem is a little different as I am having trouble with my partners brain fog.

He says I am abusive to him, I don't mean to be but I don't think he realises the stresses I am under with his illness and just day to day life and work.

I do think counselling should be part of the treatment.

0 Kudos
AlwaysMomasGirl
Visitor

My momma is a completely different person. I had traveled and taken 2 weeks off to help her and my father thru her last round of chemo. I had bought a one way ticket with plans to take however long she needed. I left just 3 days ago only after 2 weeks because I could not handle the emotional and mental abuse that she was causing myself and my father. I literally was afraid to be on my phone or try to hold a conversation with my father while there because she thought that we were conspiring against her. She would send him on several trips daily to the store to buy her food and then when we could cook it for her, she would say that it tasted horrible and refuse to eat it. She would intentionally be loud in the middle of the night to wake me up.  After I left she seeped to have a good day and now is back to throwing objects in the house, yelling at my father, and refusing to speak to my sister or I (my sis and I both live in different states than my parents). Any advice would be much appreciated 

0 Kudos
JR
New Contributor

Hi,

I just posted something similar. My husband is currently battling terminal cancer, and I don't even know him anymore. He used to be loving and caring (for the most part), but now he is angry, cold, extremely withdrawn and doesn't seem to care about me at all. It is heartbreaking. Hugs!

0 Kudos
Bsnlsm
New Contributor

Hi. I am feeling very trapped at the moment. I am a nurse and my husband was diagnosed with stage 2 lymphoma a couple of months ago. But he has been emotionally abusive for the past 2 years or more, criticizing me whenever the mood arises and assassinating my character. I also feel like when I am around that he exaggerates his symptoms in order to make me feel more stress. He doesn't let me express feelings at all about the situation, only his feelings are valid. He enjoys saying that I was cruel to him when he was sick because I got upset with him for being rude to me. It has gotten to the point that being around him gives me severe anxiety and I have been considering suicide because I know I can't leave him while he has cancer. I am also taking care of my mom who had a stroke in 2020 and is a total care and my dad with dementia. I have a 9 year old son too. But my husband gives me a hard time about leaving the house to take a break or see my friends. If I run errands he has to know where I am going and what time I am coming home. I don't know what to do. I am afraid staying in this marriage is going to kill me.

0 Kudos
Bsnlsm
New Contributor

Yes, mean patients changed my nursing specialty from oncology to something else and now a mentally abusive patient has me ready to walk out on him.
0 Kudos
Bsnlsm
New Contributor

My husband does these things too. Only he claims to love us and I am starting to hate him.
0 Kudos
Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Hi  Bsnlsm,

I am sorry to hear  about the things you are going through,  you do have a lot going on in your life right now.

Thank you for reaching out, I would like to suggest calling the Cancer Council support line on 131120 , to talk and  find support. 

Kind regards 

susana

Online Community

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.