Aspiration Pneumonia

Sunshine006au
Contributor

Aspiration Pneumonia

My beautiful dad come home to us last Tuesday after 12 weeks in hospital, on Wednesday mum cared for dad during the day while I was at work,when I got home from work dad was very unwell, high temp, laboured breathing, I called the CNC & he suggested we take him to the ED at JHH, we arrived at 8pm, they were amazing, on arrival dads temp was 39,pulse 178,oxygen level 80%,started dad on antibiotics, done all tests. Dads stomach peg was infected so at 1st they thought that was the problem,after xrays they discovered dad had pneumonia. Dad went into ICU at 3am Thursday morning.The Dr told us it was called aspiration pneumonia caused from dad being fed thru the peg & occasionally this causes reflux & this can deposit small amounts of food in dads lungs. Dad was moved from ICU into the High Dependency Unit yesterday, Im concerned that each day dads temp isv still very high, I keep asking why his temp hasn't gone down & nobody gives me an answer. If anybody has been thru this can you please give me some info, Im at my wits end & don't know what to do !!!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Aspiration Pneumonia

Sorry to see that your dad is suffering so much. I have no knowledge to pass on to you . I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you.
0 Kudos
Sunshine006au
Contributor

Thanks for that, I went to visit dad today & he hasn't had a fever since last night, we are now praying that the antibiotics are finally kicking in 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hang on sunshine! Sending all the best wishes for your dad to get better soon! 🙂
0 Kudos
Sunshine006au
Contributor

Thanks Carrie, we had a meeting today with the Dr's & dad isn't reaponding too well to the treatment, to be honest it was almost like they wanted me to tell them to turn the oxygen off & let him pass away, I'm struggling at the moment I don't know how much more I can take, my por mum can't handle things so it all comes down to me, I'm having a bad day & getting that news just tipped the scales, sorry to vent to you but it does help to get it out.. Happy New Year 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.