Bowel Cancer - advice please

bev
Frequent Contributor

Bowel Cancer - advice please

Hello everyone, If you have read my profile you will have seen that I had uterine cancer 2 years ago. Years ago, my father & grandfather both had bowel cancer, so now I have regular check ups as I have 80% chance of that now. OK, so I can handle that. My problem is now that 2 years ago an aunty on my mum's side of the family was also diagnosed. It was explained to me that her cancer was not related to mine as when you get older it does not become hereditary. A few weeks ago, my mum had a blocked bowel, and she is due to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks time. My mum has over the last 2 years had: 5 way bypass, and 12 stents and so is getting really stressed out by the her procedure.Any suggestions on how to help her? Recently our eldest daughter gave birth to triplet boys and our youngest daughter is getting married next May. Mum always said that she wanted to live to see her triplet great grandsons, but now seems to be "throwing in the towel". I am usually a "Pollyanna" seeing the positive on life and all that is thrown to me, but lately finding it very frustrating knowing how my mum feels at the moment. I understand that it must be very scarey for her,so any suggestions on how to handle this? Thank you friends,
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
bev
Frequent Contributor

Re: BOWEL CANCER - FRIENDLY ADVICE PLEASE

Come on, there must be someone else that has gone through a similar situation.
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Re: Bowel Cancer - advice please

Hi Bev, I'm sorry I haven't got any 'pearls of wisdom' for you, but I sense your frustration and hope that SOMEONE out there can offer something that will be useful to you. Fear and frustration seem to go hand in hand with cancer. I hope that you are getting some 'time out' from the stress to enjoy your precious grandsons. Thinking of you Mrs Elton
0 Kudos
craftyone
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bev, I have just returned home after small bowel operation. It will depend on what has caused the blockage and where. The procedure is only "yucky" because of the bowel preparation, the colonoscopy isn't too bad, although I don't have my large bowel so don't have to have them anymore, just gastroscopies. I suppose the main thing to stress is that anything that requires fixing the old adage is sooner better. The colonoscopy will be done under some type of sedation, not sure what sort, but shouldn't be too uncomfortable, not an operation, so recovery is quick. Good luck for your mother, let us know how she gets on - hope that this has been of some use..... craftyone
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi Bev, The whole colonoscopy thing isn't really a big deal for most people - just a little inconvenient. I have one every year and I'm at work the next day (someone has to drive me though due to the anaesthetic). I'm sure that with her heart history they will be very careful with the anesthetic but it is a very short procedure and she won't be out for long. If she has made it through all of those heart operations she'll be jumping around with those triplets in no time!! Just one other thing - not sure of her age but if she can take tablets as prep, I found taking the 60 tablets infinitely better than the goop. I know, however, that there is an age limit (something to do with hydration). I hope that all goes well and sorry I didn't respond earlier, Samex
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Thank you friends, I forgot to mention when I said earlier that I have regular check ups = that is I have a colonoscopy every year and every second year a gastroscopy. My next double is 4th December. I have inherited cancer HNPCC so that is why I have it done every year. No, I really don't mind the taste of the "prep", I hate what it does to you. Don't know about other people, but I don't get any warning when it is going to happen, so this year my doctor has suggested I take my favourite puzzle books and pen and "sit" on the toilet all day. My husband had to have one last year and everything went fine with his treatment and day. Each year I try to convince myself that it is going to go well on my prep day, so here's hoping for this year. The thought of the colonscopy doesn't bother me, as I think that if anything is found, then it would be caught early. By the way, 2 of the boys are home from hospital and doing really well. Their little brother was only 2 and a half pound when born, so he has a bit of weight to put on yet. Fingers crossed he will be home for chistmas. I often look at our daughter and am amazed on how well she has handled the whole thing right from the start of the IVF to our beautiful bundles of joy. Thanks again. Good health to all of you, Best wishes, Bev
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Wow Bev, My eldest was 4 and 1/2 pounds born and that was small enough!! Isn't it amazing what we all can deal with when we have to. Leaving my first born in the hospital(long story) all on his own 20 years ago was harder than anything I have faced with cancer I think. I thought my soul was ripped from my body. Lots of hugs to you and your mum and lots of energy to your daughter!! S
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone, Mum goes back into hospital today, and will have her colonoscopy tomorrow. It is good that she can have her "prep" day in hospital. Will let you know how things go. Meanwhile, I have my annual colonoscopy & gastroscopy in 3 weeks - yah!!!!!!!.
0 Kudos
craftyone
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bev, Sorry for not writing anything else for a while, I have just had small bowel op to remove some large polyps before they became too much of a nuisance. How is your mother? I know what it is like having gastroscopies, I will be back to having one every 6 months until the rest of the large polyps (reachable, hope no more) have been removed. I actually have to have a general anaesthetic now, as my throat becomes too irritated for my "gastro guy" to do what he needs to do. The stuff that you have to drink for colon cleanups now a days must be "yucky", but at least it doesn't involve 3 days clear liquid diet, 2 tablespoons of castor oil (hate that stuff now), and then an anaema before the procedure. After I had my colon removed (due to F.A.P., another hereditary bowel disease), I had to have sigmoidoscopes every six months which finished up being 1 day clear liquids ad then a teaspoon (all that was needed) of castor oil - boy, that used to go "through" me in a real hurry. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I had to have a small bowel X-ray and had to drink some really horrid tasting liquid. They actually said that most people vomit after it. I was reminded of it whilst in hospital this time, as I had to have it again to make sure that the small bowel was not blocking before I started eating again. Not nice, also goes through extremely quickly, like "weeing" out of your bottom, at least I have a bag now, so it was just a matter of emptying that out 4-5 times. Good luck in 3 weeks time, just think of the alternative if you are not checked at all. Craftyone
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your comments. Mum was supposed to have her colonoscopy & gastroscopy yesterday. The gastroscopy went well, but the doctor couldn't do the colonoscopy. I have forgotten to mention also that mum has diverticular disease, so do I. Anyhow, this causes a lot of pain for mum too. The doctor has told her that there is nothing he can do for her, except for her to take Buscapan for the pain, and he will see her again in 3 months.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.