Can anyone help?

Fighting4her
New Contributor

Can anyone help?

My best friend is 29 and has stage 4 mets breast cancer. Before all of this she was the life of the party, always out having fun, had a cool job all the best clothes/hairstyles.. Just enjoying being in her 20's really. Now all the treatment has started the obvious side affects have been terrible, but the reality is, the diagnosis of this type of cancer at her age has felt a little isolating to her. Lately some of the issues that have been affecting her most are those that, we who love her can sympathise with, but no-one who hasn't had cancer themselves can really ever understand. There are physical problems related to treatment but also emotional trials due to her aching need to have a family one day and other obvious worries that any woman in her position would face. I am trying to help her find some other young people, who once felt this could never have happened to them, and share the same frustrations that she is going through. She is a little sceptical about online chatting, but she is of the online generation so I figure, there has to be others like her on here.. Girls, guys.. Can anyone relate?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Can anyone help?

I can definitely say she will be better off because she has caring friends like you. But, as you rightly said, sometimes only those who have been through cancer can really understand. This website is a great resource, and there's also a group called The Warwick Cancer Foundation, which was specially set up to support people aged 25-40 who have been diagnosed with cancer. (www.twcf.org.au) TWCF have peer support programs, and social events for members, so it's not all online. I wish you and your friend good luck. love Emily
0 Kudos
Fighting4her
New Contributor

Thanks for that link Emily:) It's a great start to get her connected All the best xx Kate
0 Kudos
DV
New Contributor

Hi, I am 29, female, and newly diagnosed with a rare type of thyroid cancer. I've only known for a few days and so am still trying to come to terms with the impacts. My treatments won't be the same, at the moment only looking at surgery and radiation therapy, but perhaps I could offer an understanding ear? So far I am coping well with my diagnosis and would love to be able to offer support, as while I have had friends go through this previously I have also felt that I wasn't able to truly understand their situation, perhaps now I would be better prepared. Pop me a pm if you think it is a good idea, and I certainly wouldn't be offended if she has decided this or I am not right for her :) Wishing her all the best, and hoping you are also looking after yourself while you are taking such selfless action to try help her. I'm sure she appreciates the support you are giving her already. D
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.