Carer

Not applicable

Carer

Hello im a 21 year old who cares for her mother who has schizophrenia and advanced breast cancer. Just wanted to know if you had any advice how anyone else in this sort of situation deals with it? and how you make their quality of life better more comfortable and find time for yourself.. Love to hear from you
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
larn75
Contributor

Re: Carer

wow,Clo. Read through all the information you can handle in the various sections of the forums. There are loads and loads of bits and pieces to help, that people have posted along their own journeys. Also you can never go past the Cancer Council Website or helpline. There is always someone or something to help you in whatever you come up against. As a carer finding time for yourself is just as important as caring for your Mum so make this a part of the things you NEED to do not would LIKE to do. And visit us all here as often as yo need to. There is always someone who is feeling or has felt as you feel at any given time and you will be surprised how much that helps sometimes. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate!! Hope we can all help you along the way :-) Alana
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya clo I would urge you to find out what the cancer council has to offer. They offer so much and can be a great help to those that are in need. I myself have used them quite extensively through my treatment and have met some just simply amazing people who work or volunteer for the cc. Julie xo
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

HI Clo, I hope you have managed to link into some support by now. please let us know if you are struggling to do so. so we can continue to help you 🙂 there is a whole section on this site for carers called 'Family'. you can access this in the top menu bar on the home page. there are also some great forum and groups for this. make sure you take good care of yourself nikki 🙂
0 Kudos
chris_martin
Contributor

Hi Clo. I know you are a lot younger than me- I am 58 with 83 yr old dad with terminal oesophageus cancer. We have had bad times last few weeks as he lives 6hr train trip away from me and I have asked him to move in with me but I think he thinks it will be too much for me to handle. And that is where my heart goes out to you so much as you are so young!! I really think you are being such a great comfort to your mum by being there for her. I too do not know how to make their life more comfortable as I know my dad is in pain but won't show it to me. Just be there for your mum and as people have said to me make at least an hour each day for yourself but that is easier said than done. Please take care of yourself. xo Chris
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Carer Go to the web and google Carers Australia that will put you in touch with Carers Australia and their state branches. They are a great organisation and have a lot of practical information for carers. They get a fair amount of government funding so are well resourced to help people in your situation. They can tell you what you are eligible for through centrelink and what other help is available out there in the community. The cancer helpline 13 11 20 is another great resource. Maybe the managers of this website could have a section on useful websites to visit, or an FAQ to provide this type of information, which I know I have put into many responses to enquiries such as yours. cheers Sailor Never go into strange places on a falling tide without a pilot. Thomas Gibson Bowles
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.