Coping with emotions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Coping with emotions

@brenda2020 

Emotional times, when things are acute I think we as caregivers run on autopilot. Are you able to slip in an occasional 5 minute self care moment?

Victorious
New Contributor

Sorry to hear your mum is not eating well. Have you tried giving her Sustagen (twice a day)? Or try blending stews or soups into a puree  or thin liquid form.

Victorious
New Contributor

I’ll remember this drink should my husband need it. He has oesophageal cancer and is currently resting to recover for a major surgery early June. He is finding it hard to swallow, so I blend his meals.
0 Kudos
brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

she drinks sustegen with water , 3 spoons with 200ml water. unfortunately milk is no good for her. im going to try lactose free milk.. do you recommend any other type of less painful milk for the stomach?

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Have you tried A2 milk .

0 Kudos
brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

yes. its still no good.. 😞

0 Kudos
Victorious
New Contributor

Yes, give it a try and hope your mum can tolerate lactose free milk. Options to try are almond milk or soy milk. Hope one of these alternatives will help your mum. 

0 Kudos
Andrea2450z
Occasional Contributor

Hi, my mom has stomach cancer as well. Unfortunately for her they discovered it way too late. However, when she was getting her first few sessions of chemo, I used to give her blended oatmeal with water which can be refreshing for them and soothing for their stomach, this can also give them lots of energy as well. Any juices but homemade like pear, Apple, strawberry can also be good, I usually mix this with 2 tablespoons of oatmeal to make it like a "protein shake", this can help for when they don't really seem to have any appetite. As for soups, I boil a little piece of meat or chicken, along with a few potatoes, then blend it all, they don't have to eat the whole bowl of soup, with just a few tablespoons throughout the day, it can be good for when they don't really want anything else. I hope it helps and wish you and your mom the best.

0 Kudos
brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

my mothers having sustagen with milk everyday now :):)

0 Kudos
brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

thanks Andrea. 

initially it was really hard, but now my mother is no longer in pain. which means the chemo has worked to kill the bad cells in her stomach. From dringking gaviscon 3 times a day, she only has it once in a while. Also able to have bread without pain. Im so grateful!!

its been 3 months, and the doctor said to continue with her treatment.. so we are going every fortnight for now...

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.