Husband is very depressed.

Anere
Occasional Contributor

Husband is very depressed.

Hi I am just writing to ask advice about coping with my husband's depression. My husband has been battling cancer for three years, and it's been a very tough journey for him, myself and our two teenage kids. The part I am finding really hard at the moment is coping with my husband's depression. He has been in bed for past 3 weeks due to getting a cold whilst on chemotherapy. I haven't seen him smile for such a long time, and although I am caring for him, and I am with him all day I feel so helpless. My kids are avoiding him more now as well as it is very upsetting for them to see him like this. He spends the day watching TV, sleeping and talking to his family/friends online. I understand how low he must be feeling but I just wish there was something I could do to brighten his moods. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Husband is very depressed.

Hi Anere. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't have any advice to offer you, but I just wanted to offer you a friendly word. My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma 3 years ago. We're fortunate that things have been going very well, but I can remember how lonely and helpless I felt during his chemo, too. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further. Sending you all a strenghtening hug, Emily
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.