I am new to this and I may need help.

KPlasencia
Not applicable

I am new to this and I may need help.

I am totally new to blogging. I have never done it before, but figured it would be a good outlet in forcing myself to deal with my mom's cancer journey. She was diagnosed with bladder cancer 3 years ago. Chemo has worked thus far, but she is in stage 4 and the chemo is no longer working. She is the strongest person I know. I cry a lot and I don't know how to face the fact that we will loose her and her fight is almost over. I have 3 children, 8, 6 and 10. I want to walk through this journey with my mom in a healthy way so that my children are able to deal with it. I am pissed off because it is not far that I will not be able to take care of my mom as an old lady. I just don't know what I should do!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
PaulaS
Not applicable

Re: I am new to this and I may need help.

I am so sorry to hear about your mum, this must be so hard for you and your family. We are going through Bowel cancer with my dad at the moment, and i understand your rollercoaster of emotions. I cried lining up in the supermarket line the other day - totally unexpected !! Just burst into tears and had to leave. I feel like i have no control over how i am going to be feeling from one day to the next.. this really is one of the hardest things to deal with when it's someone you are so close to. Just remember what a supportive, great daughter you are being, by just being there for your mum, i know you probably don't feel like it's enough - but i'm sure she is so grateful to have you by her side !! I know my dad is, i call him everyday just to let him know that i am thinking of him and i'm there for him. Take each day as it comes,and cherish every moment you have with your mum... my thoughts are with you and i wish you all the best. Paula. x
0 Kudos
Schemma
Not applicable

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I lost my mum to breast cancer 6 years ago. It is such a tough journey to go through. You just need to take each day as it comes, there is no knowing what you are going to feel each and every day. There is no doubt that your mother is cherishing having you there to support her. Don't hide your emotions from her too much because she is still your mum and she knows that you are hurting. I don't know what it is like to have children at the time as I had my children after my mother passed. Be strong but let yourself feel. As a female, losing your mum is like losing a part of you. I wish I could say that it will get easier, but I am still struggling to come to terms with the loss. I am doing better but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish that I could pick up the phone and talk to her. If I can be of support in any way, please don't hesitate to message me. Take care Susan
0 Kudos
Anne
New Contributor

What a tough time for you and your Mum. I understand you worrying about your children as well. My mum has stage IV breast cancer she is currently going through Chemo. My children are 10 & 13 and I have sought advise on how to get them through this journey as well. The Cancer Council sent me a great book which gave some info on how to tell your children what is happening depending on their age. They need to know why you are upset as well. I just tell my kids that I am sad today and when people are sad they cry. Remember to look after yourself as well. Cherish this time with Mum, I am sure she is grateful for all your love and support. Anne x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.