I have just recently met my terminal ill father for the first time ever.

lifeisprecious
New Contributor

I have just recently met my terminal ill father for the first time ever.

Hi

My father contacted me a few months ago after over 30 years and told me he is dying of cancer and would like to get to know me before he passes away. It was a huge shock after all these years to hear he had terminal cancer and finally wanted to be in contact as I have tried in the past to reconnect with him. These last few months have been extreamely hard and I have had so many emotions from each ends of the spectrum, it has been very tough.

He is currently not doing well at all, he lives in another state to me and is in hospital trying to get his pain under control, he has advance stage 4 prostate cancer, I am scared he wont be getting out of hospital this time because he is in such severe pain requiring a lot of medication and the medications are extreamely intense.

I decided to join this group today as I really don't have much support apart from my husband, who doesn't really get it and the rest of my family are not very supportive or understanding of the situation. I also have three primary school aged children, who I absolutely adore and I am trying to keep my head above water for. This is a start for me trying to connect with other people who understand, I am also going to organise to see a counciller soon to help me get my head around what is going on.

I don't think I have got my head around that this wont end well and sometime in the near future all contact will seize again and we wont be able to have this contact that we have been having daily, its just heartbreaking and now I finally have him in my life I grieve losing it like I have done for a very long time before now. I am not sure if anyone can relate at all to meeting a parent after a long time and them having a terminal illness but I am looking forward to finally opening up to other people who get how horrible cancer is to not feel so alone and hopefully some how I can help others in the future as well. Thank you very much 🙂

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: I have just recently met my terminal ill father for the first time ever.

Hi @lifeisprecious and welcome!

Sorry to hear of your father's diagnosis, that must be incredibly tough for you, considering.

I would urge you to contact 13 11 20, as there may be services that can assist you, depending on your state.

Here are some resources that I think will be beneficial to you at the current time:

Can anyone else relate to what @lifeisprecious is going through right now? 

You are definitely not alone Heart

0 Kudos
lifeisprecious
New Contributor

Re: I have just recently met my terminal ill father for the first time ever.

Thank you for your lovely message, it sure does feel very lonely with not much support so I am so greatful for your messages and I look forward to looking at those links you have provided to learn ways to cope with all of this that is going on. Thank you so much!!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.