Lung cancer and loss

Joanne58
New Contributor

Lung cancer and loss

My mum has lung cancer and se ondaries in 3 places.   I am sick of people telling me "well, you’re at that age where parents will die"

just because im 48, doesn’t make it any easier to live with!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lung cancer and loss

Evening,

People have said that to you?? Well that's rather silly and unsettling honestly. I'm sure that they mean well and are trying to be supportive in their own unique way but i don't think that they quite understand.

Realistically there are no accurate time limits, only simply opinions and guesses.

A person can only take things as they come and often only one day at a time. You need to surround yourself with loving families or friends and remember to communicate your feelings with them. Your only human afterall and need assistance through this time as well.

We are here for you, whenever you need too!

0 Kudos
Joanne58
New Contributor

Unfortunately the person that said it should understand as he lost his wife ‘my aunt] to cancer.  Just made me mad.   I could see his point but I’m just not ready to say goodbye to mum. It doesn’t help me that hubby has untreatable myasthenia gravis and Guillan barre and is under palliative care. Also my dad is trying to be positive but I think knows the end game. He keeps saying "rattling around in this house on my own????" And my brother.........don’t get me started........doesn’t barely talk to my husband as he hates hospitals and illness.    And also doesn’t really ask much re mum. Offered to explain everything and got "what’s the point I don’t understand it anyway’

@iloveyoudearly7 wrote:

Evening,

People have said that to you?? Well that's rather silly and unsettling honestly. I'm sure that they mean well and are trying to be supportive in their own unique way but i don't think that they quite understand.

Realistically there are no accurate time limits, only simply opinions and guesses.

A person can only take things as they come and often only one day at a time. You need to surround yourself with loving families or friends and remember to communicate your feelings with them. Your only human afterall and need assistance through this time as well.

We are here for you, whenever you need too!

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Joanne58

"Ignorance is bliss" to some I suppose.  I, personally like to understand what is happening to my loved ones.

I'm sorry to hear of your family's health troubles.   It sounds like some people are trying to put your mum in an earlier grave than necessary.   She may live for a long time yet!

Budgie

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.