My father has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

mangoman
New Contributor

My father has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

He was diagnosed last year, and he was started on a Gemzar-Abraxane regimen. We remained positive for the three cycles which were recently completed. However, on followup we've found out that the regimen didnt have an effect and its spread to the liver. The doctor is recommending switching to an alternative regimen. I've read about this enough to understand his prognosis is very poor, and its very hard to remain positive each day. His condition is deteriorating, he barely eats now and the pain is constant. 

10 REPLIES 10
kj
Super Contributor

Re: My father has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Hi mangoman

Thats disappointing the combo chemo did not work hopefully the next treatment may help your father,if the pain is constant, is his pain med dose strong enough,sometimes the chemo can help with pain also, but clearly his didn’t.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mangoman 

Watching our loved ones suffer and feeling so helpless = ☹️☹️☹️

Whilst we are very much in the early stages, I think clear communication in relation to what benefit can be expected is vital.

VM
Contributor

Hi,

What's it been like for you these last two weeks? I'm thinking it hurts your heart seeing your husband disappearing before your eyes. x

0 Kudos
VM
Contributor

Hi Darcy,

From my observation our son's Oncologist hasn't been as informative in a way that we could understand and it has been frustrating that as he is her client, she will not divulge any information unless he agrees. I mean he agrees but we only hear her when we are there in the appointment. He doesn't tell us much. So we feel like we are in the dark and ineffective. I feel that the Oncologist, whether it is policy or personal, will not give us a very likely prognosis. She runs with his guess at 6 months. We are here guessing he has two months. In the meantime he is desperately looking for ways of beating it, but one look at him tells us differently 😞

mangoman
New Contributor

Hi Darcy. He passed away at home this week. He couldn't breathe properly and sadly because of the COVID situation we couldnt get him to a hospital quick enough for oxygen. Even though we knew it was a terminal illness I dont think anyone can prepare themselves for when it happens.
mangoman
New Contributor

We werent able to get our father the care he deserved because of financial reasons and the COVID situation. He passed away this week.
0 Kudos
VM
Contributor

xxx

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending tender thoughts your way @mangoman .

0 Kudos
Dijoyner
New Contributor

I am so sorry to hear that, Jeff/we have gone straight to palliative care as chemo may(30%) have reduced it but definitely no cure and quality over quantity looked the better option. 
hugs 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.