My husband was told treatment not working.

Jenniferwang
Contributor

My husband was told treatment not working.

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in August 2017. He was having symptoms earlier the year and 2016 but GP just brush us off with normal pain killers. Only when my husband demanded a full body scan in July 2017 then we knew something was wrong. Went to hospital, seen the hemotologist and started Low grade chemo Rchop full 6 rounds. Failed. Then medium grade Ferrari protocol 3 rounds with lumbar puncture as it gone to the brain and spine. Failed and gone to RICE 1 round and that failed too. My husband is totally devastated. Only 2 more types of chemo to try and they are 50/50 chance. Doctor says let him do what he wants, enjoy any food he likes. Feels like it’s telling me it is the end let him do it with no regrets. I cried. I feel so helpless. I don’t want to lose my Husband. I do not know what I can do to help. 

30 REPLIES 30
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: My husband was told treatment not working.

Hi Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear you and your husband have to go through this.  I'm glad you found this forum- it's a great place to vent/ask/be encouraged and surrounded by people who are in similar situations, and it's available 24/7.   We're all here cheering you and your husband on.  Big hugs!  Emily

0 Kudos
Jenniferwang
Contributor

Thank you little stitcher. It is so hard. Back in hospital becos his lymph notes swell up and blocked his airway. He is in pain. Helpless. 

0 Kudos
Elaines
Occasional Contributor

Hi jennifer

I feel for you. And know what you re going through. My husband too was diagnosed recently with a rare aggressive cancer. I was so devastated i couldmt eat or sleep. Worse thing is i have a young 6 yr old daughter. And i worry for all of us. Its a terrible thing to go through. How are you coping? May i ask if you re based in perth?

0 Kudos
Jenniferwang
Contributor

Hi Elaines, sorry to hear about yours. Yes I am based in Perth. Devastated, emotionally drained, stress and worry on the what if’s.
0 Kudos
Elaines
Occasional Contributor

Re: reply

I totally know how u feel. U described every emotion im going through. Please feel free to share with me. Im also reaching out as no one who isnt going through the same experience, will know how exhausting draining and sad it is.. i  too, am so worried about the future and everything else. Do you have kids jenny.

0 Kudos
Jenniferwang
Contributor

Hi elaines, no we do not have kids. I have pcos  so plan to go through IVF but things happen before we got the chance. Now all the high level chemo has made my Husband infertile. We will never get the chance to have our own biological kids. 

0 Kudos
Elaines
Occasional Contributor

Im so sorry jennifer. My heart goes out to you. You must be a young couple to be headed for ivf.  As much as im hurting, i also feel for u. We re both going thru a very trying time and like me, im sure at times you feel a sense of hopelessness and devastation. Even getting through a day is tough for me. Im also worried about the future. For me, with a young child i worry how it ll affect her. 

0 Kudos
Elaines
Occasional Contributor

Im so sorry jennifer. My heart goes out to you. You must be a young couple since you were headed to ivf. It must be difficult. We re both going thru a tough time and for me, its so hard to even get thru a day. Im so worried for our future, and how it ll affect my 6 yr old.
0 Kudos
Jenniferwang
Contributor

Thanks Elaines. i am sorry that you are going through so much as well. It is just a lot to think about and deal with. My husband keeps telling me to stay positive and strong, but i find it so hard but i know i have to.

How i wish i can take his pain away everyday. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.