Not knowing what expect with my partner Stephen starting chemo this week.

Angel1
Occasional Contributor

Not knowing what expect with my partner Stephen starting chemo this week.

I was supposed to go to with Stephen to his initial appointment. Now we have been told I can't  attend that first appointment and i sm feeling left out and i want to know what to expect i need to know what's going to happen. I am anxious about alredy about what foods to feed Stephen. Also other things, my head is spinning with so much and i don't know where to start. I don't want to let him down i want to be here to support him with everything. I want to make him better. Sorry that was a blurt out of all my fears then. 

2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Not knowing what expect with my partner Stephen starting chemo this week.

Hi Angel1,

I'm sorry that your husband (or friend) is needing to go through this. It's tough on the people who surround them that love them too.

If you don't mind my asking, what was Stephen's diagnosis? He should be able to bring some information home that you can read through. The cancer council will also have lots of great information available.

Here are some options I think that would be worth considering;

1) Ask Stephen and the doctor, if they could record the conversation on his phone.

2) Ask if they could have his mobile phone on speaker while they have the appointment. That way, if you have questions during the appointment, you could ask on the spot.

3) If neither of those are possible, ask for Stephen or your doctor to provide notes from the meeting and then you could ask questions of the doctor in a follow up phone call.

In my experience, the doctors/surgeons are generally quite help people, and would quite understanding of your request.

Best of luck.

-s

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not knowing what expect with my partner Stephen starting chemo this week.

Hi @Angel1 

How are you going?

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.