Ovarian Cancer

philrad
Not applicable

Ovarian Cancer

To all the Carers This is my first post but I have been a watcher for the last 12 months. My darling Alison passed away on the 3 June 2010 from Ovarian Cancer. She was only 60 years old and was diagnosed at Stage 1 14 months ago. We were very confident that we could beat this disease but it was not to be. Prof Thomas Jobling did the surgery with Romayne Holmes in charge of chemo which was carried out at Peninsula Private Hospital Frankston. I have nothing but praise for Tom, Romayne and the staff. The compassion and thoughtfulness they have shown over the last 12 months has been amazing Our plans for the future were thrown into turmoil but this was little consequence compared to the pain Alison went through.I sit here at the computer and console myself that least Alison was home for a short time and this was were she wanted to be.I had cater for all her needs, though it was hard but it was well worth it to give her this last pleasure in life. She passed away at Peninsula Private.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Ovarian Cancer

Hi philrad I am sorry to read of your wife's passing, my condolences to you. It is such a tough journey with cancer for all concerned and it is heartening to think of those that work in the cancer field. There are certainly some amazing people involved. I am currently doing volunteer work at my local hospital for the pastoral care dept and it is such a rewarding experience for me and I am told for them also. I hope you keep reading the site and gain some comfort from it. Julie
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Hi Philrad, My condolences to you for the loss of your wife. I have been a carer for my husband for the last 15 months, he passed away on 30th May 2010 in our home. I was able to care for him at home (as he wished) with the help of Silver Chain and my Dad who stayed with us full-time for the 3 weeks that my husband was restricted to bed. I understand how hard it is to see the one you love suffer and, like you, find comfort in the knowledge that I was able to honour his wishes. I am glad that you feel comfortable enough to 'share' with us after 'watching' for the last 12 months. I hope it gives you some added support and strength. with kind regards, Mrs Elton
0 Kudos
Bella2010
New Contributor

Hi Philrad I can understand how you feel - my mum just passed away of ovarian cancer last week. It's good that you got to spend some time together at home. My mum's decline was so quick, only a matter of weeks since diagnosis, so I'm having a hard time accepting even the fact that she got sick at all let alone died.. I too was so confident that she'd get through it - I think I had to be in order to just survive. I am just trying to get through each day, and I know Mum would've wanted me to be positive and try to get on with life. I hope you are finding comfort in family, friends and loving and lasting memories of your wife. Bella
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.