Terminal Dad

Kymbert26
New Contributor

Terminal Dad

Hi all, my dad was diagnosed with cancer in March in his bowel, liver and lung.  He was given maybe 8mths to 2 years if chemo worked.  It has not.  The hardest part at the moment is when you get the call that he has  1-2 days maybe a week then he rallies and now may be going home for a little while.  It is also really hard to explain to Miss 9.  He is also not impressed with having palliative care as I think he may think he need to go into a nursing home.  It hard to get him to understand they are their to help in many ways so he can go home.  I live about 2 hrs away and have been staying in town and am stressing about going home in case something happens.  Thanks for listening.  

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Terminal Dad

Sending gentle thoughts your way @Kymbert26 . 

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Sending hugs your way @Kymbert26 😘

How is your Dad doing this week?

You might be interested in checking out our podcast on Explaining Cancer to kids, to assist with your daughter.

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

jordynlei
New Contributor

Hi love, I’m currently in your situation.. I live 2 hours away from my family... my dad found out he had lung cancer a few months ago and it’s worsening. I’m so lost. I hope you’re okay though. Sending my love and support

Kymbert26
New Contributor

It is very hard to come to terms with it all some days.  My dad is currently back at home as he rallied when he was in hospital.  It is such an emotional roller coaster.  My dad has good days were he is happy, days when he is very emotional and then others when he is cranky with everything and everyone.  We are just taking it day by day at the moment.  Sending you love and support. 

Kymbert26
New Contributor

Thanks so much it is one of the hardest things I have had to deal with so far.
0 Kudos
Kymbert26
New Contributor

He is good at the moment, at home but has his days.
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.