Treatment options running out.

pdjones
Occasional Contributor

Treatment options running out.

Hi, I am a career for my wife when she needs it which is often. She has stage IV NSCLC and has just stopped taking Tagrisso because of adverse effects. She has just enrolled in a Jackpot trial but there is no evidence that this will be of any use to her. You can live in hope but this is stressing me out. I have just lost my mother recently and so feel overloaded with grief.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Treatment options running out.

Hi pdjones

I’m sorry for the loss of your mother.   On top of everything you are doing for your wife, it would be very stressful for you.  

It sounds like you need someone to talk to & is there anyway that you can get some time to yourself?    My husband is my carer & he works full time.  I worry about him alot.  He is the type of person who never sits still & can handle stress quite well, but I do wish he would take time off from looking after me. 

There are are some good support services out there too.   Perhaps you could find someone to talk to & download some of that grief. 

I hope things go well with the trial your wife is going on.   

All the best wishes 

Budgie

0 Kudos
pdjones
Occasional Contributor

Hi Budgie,

Thanks for your reply and I agree that we need to take time apart from each other.

My mother's death certainly has added another dimension. I have just had a trip up to see my son in Canberra. My wife's canmcer has recently began growing again so there is a fair bit going on.

That being said, it is important to talk about this to otehr people. Problem is family and friends have been rather unresponsive hence my coming on here out of desparation really.

So, thanks again for your reply. I am seeing a psychologist who has been great in the past. I also had a good talk with my wife this morning. Every little bit helps

Cheers

pdjones

0 Kudos
JosieK
New Contributor

Hi Pdjones,

I am new here. My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (EGFR) on Thursday 21 Jun 2018 after a few weeks of tests, scans and biopsies. I have become consumed by fear, anxiety and sadness ever since the first CT scan result came back which showed a dark mass in his lungs. My husband is 46, an active and fit cyclist with a big heart. The news has changed him a lot and I know he is trying hard to be positive about this whole thing.  My priority is to support him in every way I can. At the same time, I am hoping to reach out to people who are in similar situations to share experience and support.

Treatment started yesterday and he is taking GIOTRIF pills once a day, a second generation drug which has just been approved by the Government.

I am seeing a counsellor next week and I am hoping that he can give me some wisdom on how to gather inner strength so that I become strong for my husband and myself. I read that you are also going to see a counsellor and I hope that it went well for you.

Kind regards,

JosieK

pdjones
Occasional Contributor

Hi Josie

my wife has stage IV egfr lung cancer also. There are many treatment options available and she has just started a new trial drug last week. She was diagnosed nearly 8 years ago so has already been through many treatment options this is why her options are limited. Your husband has many options and I hope he is doing well.

where there’s life there’s hope. 

Peter

0 Kudos
JosieK
New Contributor

Morning Peter,

Thanks for writing back to me.

My husband started taking GIOTRIF (second generation) 2 days ago. He started coughing a little bit since yesterday, but he told me that he has had a bit of a sore throat since the beginning of the week and I believe that I caught it from him too since I started also having a sore throat late last night. Told myself must not get sick since we will then be cross infecting each other.

At work, I have been trying to concentrate and live one hour at a time with a purpose. This seems to stop me from thinking all the negative thoughts which are not useful for me. At lunch I meet up with a couple good friends at the park to exercise for 30 minutes or have a hot lunch when it gets too cold. This helps keep my spirit up a little. Some days I just feel like crying and they cry with me. When I get home, I will cook for hubby who has been working from home since late last month. I find that running on the treadmill for 30 minutes lifts my mood considerably so I have been making myself do that every day.

I am still learning to be a good carer and not a nagging person. Trying to be a much better listener these days and I find that my hubby appreciates it and that also gives me peace in return.

Seeing a counsellor tomorrow. I hope to get some wisdom on how to cultivate inner strength.

I hope the treatment goes well for your wife. You are right, hope is what keeps us going.

Kind regards,

Josephine
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.