Cancer pain

Krystal
Occasional Contributor

Cancer pain

I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice or views which could help me. My dad has advanced NSCLC and has bone mets. The pain has become unbearable and he is in hospital. He receives regular 4 hrly morphine shots however his pain often comes rapidly and intensely and even the breakthroughs aren't helping. At other times the pain is ok. Because they can't adjust the morphine levels so he can take it at home we need to put him in palliative care. I guess what I want to know is if this is where he will stay or will it get better. Has anyone had the same situation ?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Cancer pain

Krystal Palliative care might be a good option for your day. Not all people that go into palliative care stay there. They might be able to give your dad more help and in turn help the family more. Julie
0 Kudos
Krystal
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Julie 🙂
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

Hi Krystal I am in a similar situation with pain with my Multiple Myeloma. I have had chronic pain for a couple of years now and have been under the care of the palliative care team but at home. I have morphine liquid, methadone, oxycontin and oxynorm and these have helped to reduce the pain. Unfortunately the pain never goes completely but self medication does help. I have been in hospital several times for pain and they hook you up to morphine and ketamine and it destroys your mind. I would rather be at home surrounded by things and people I know than in a noisy sterile ward. It all depends how bad your dad is. If he can still function at times when the pain is "under control" then being home is better for him. It is harder for you and your family though but it is more important that your dad is as happy as possible. After all, he is the one with the pain! For me, being in hospital will be the last resort and even then, I would rather die at home surrounded by my family and dog. Everyone is different. Talk to your dad and see what he wants to do. No one can force him into pall care. It's what he wants to do and what he is capable of doing at home. Good luck Krystal. He is lucky to have someone who cares about him as much as you do. Ash
0 Kudos
Krystal
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ash, thank you and I really feel for you. Up until now i have had no idea how painful and destructive cancer is. Maybe brave isn't the right word but I think you are brave and courageous everyday trying to beat this and it shows how much we take for granted every day. I don't have the words any more because its such a personal battle and I don't want to offend anyone. I do ask my dad what he wants as he is still mobile but weak and his mind is still here. He just does not want to be in pain and says he will go anywhere to stop the pain. Without the pain he would be at home with his family but I think he has started to feel like a burden to us which is very painful to me. You are right that the drugs destroy your brain because he feels like he is going crazy but then the alternative is unbearable pain. I cannot believe that this is the only option for pain. He has agreed to go to pall care and we hope that he will be home shortly. He had radiation last week and it seems to just now be starting to ease the pain and he is now on liquid morphine which seems to be working. They are thinking he is making the pain worse psychologically as he becomes very distressed at the onset of any further pain ..... And that's another reason the drs want him in pall care so he doesn't become distressed at home. I wish you all that you need and thank you for helping me 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.