Duodenal Cancer/Tumour - Perth

joybell16
Occasional Contributor

Duodenal Cancer/Tumour - Perth

Husband had no symptoms of a tumour. Was on medication (Resprim) for another condition which had almost instant impact on Liver Function results plus diarrhea/pale stools, dark urine and jaundice within one week. Believed it to be a sensitivity to sulphides in medication however further investigation from MRI and Endoscopy/ERCP shows a pretty large tumour in duodenum. PET scan tomorrow, biopsy results expected Tuesday, liver decompression on Wednesday for bile relief. Believed to be operable - Whipple procedure. RPH. Would appreciate assistance from any affected persons in Perth area regarding surgeons and consultants/experiences and any advice/suggestions etc please... regards
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
melbourneboybor
Contributor

Re: Duodenal Cancer/Tumour - Perth

Hi There, Sorry - I'm not from the Perth area but I wanted to reply and let you know that I've read your post and that many of us are here to listen. That must have been quite the news for your husband to receive - especially as he had no symptoms. I'm merely stopping by to wish you the best of luck with your journey and hope that everything works out. All the best, John
0 Kudos
joybell16
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John, appreciate that. Husband has Stage II duodenal/pancreatic cancer. PET shows no lymph node involvement, no mestastes. Had liver tubes put in today and in extreme pain afterwards (when morphine was wearing off) Very distressing for us all. Whipple is scheduled for 9 December... Dr Rao at RPH. Thank you for your reply :) Joy
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

joybell16 I can pass on a tip I learned after my whipple get your husband to have something that will help him pass his stools to stop him straining, I dId not and I wish I did, also good luck with the surgery kj
0 Kudos
timvick
Occasional Contributor

Hi all Has anyone seen the excellent Cancer Council of NSW DVD on Pancreatic Cancer? Has a lot of good information. Also go to: http://www.whipplewarriors.org/
0 Kudos
joybell16
Occasional Contributor

Thanks KJ. I'll remember that. With all the pain killers and anaesthetics that part has been a bit difficult !
0 Kudos
joybell16
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John. Appreciate the post.
0 Kudos
joybell16
Occasional Contributor

Whipple procedure set down for Monday 9 December. Able to go home for a few days 🙂 Waiting on a pack of info from Cancer Council. Liver drains worked a treat and bilirubin down to 208 yesterday.
0 Kudos
joybell16
Occasional Contributor

No Whipple procedure carried out as cancer has spread to peritoneal area and outer lining of stomach. Palliative hepatojejunostomy created and Gastrojejunostomy fashioned... Discharge letter! Now has a wound infection but has been discharged and we are heading home to Busselton for a family Christmas :) Treasuring every day. regards
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.