Peritonectomy operation (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)

jodielee12
Contributor

Re: Peritonectomy operation (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)

My sister is out of the op which took 9 hours. they have taken her gall bladder, bowel, rectum and have given her a blast of Chemo. she is stable and they said the worry now is an infection from the blood transfusion. her husband is unable to see her for 24 hours. Linda
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

HI Jodielee, not much to say except that I am sending cyber hugs. I hoope that you are all bearing up. Your sister is lucky to have so much support. Samex
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Hi Linda, That is a big operation for sure. I do hope your sister is making good progress, and is reasonably comfortable all things considered. I'm thinking of your sister and you and wishing everyone involved all the best at this very challenging time. Ed.
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

thanks everyone for your support. i have just spoken to my sister and she sounds very tired and was only able to speak for a little while. she has just been moved to a ward and still has tubes in to feed her. (she is complaning so that's a good sign). she is fed up with hospital already and know's she is there for a while longer. cheers Linda
0 Kudos
purpleangels
Contributor

Thoughts are with you and your sister and hope that she makes a good recovery.....Complaining is a great sign- especially when they tell the physios to get lost! They really made my husband snarl.... PA
0 Kudos
Kitty
Not applicable

Hi Linda I to had a similar Op in Sydney last Sept 2010. How is your sister recovering now? It seems to take a lot longer than the doctors first tell you. I hope that she is on the mend and recovering well. Bye for now Kitty
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

Hi Kitty my sister is doing really well now and had her check up last week. they have told her the cancer is not there anymore. she is struggling to put on weight tho. she is back playing tennis and doing so well. for someone that was told to get her life in order this is amazing. cheers Linda
0 Kudos
periMeso
Occasional Contributor

Professor David Morris and the peritonectomy team at St George hospital Kogarah NSW Australia are doing about 2 of these procedures a week for about 6 conditions including peritoneal mesothelioma. Patients come from all over Australia and the Southern Hemisphere. Probably the biggest operation you can do, you can have confidence in the St George team. Many hours in surgery and a long careful recovery. Thank you to everyone involved. The peritonectomy with heated chemotherapy during the procedure, followed by chemotherapy is the best practice treatment for peritoneal mesothelioma. It provides an improved prognosis to those patients that undertake it.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.