Wife being trated for Breast Cancer

JC
Occasional Contributor

Wife being trated for Breast Cancer

Hi, I am 45 and my wife a year younger, we have a 7yo and a 10yo and live in the country. My wife has had a bilateral mastectomy, removal of lymph nodes (positive) and is undergoing a dose dense chemo regime to be followed by radio and trastuzumab. My wife is constantly travelling to the city for treatment and our lives have been thrown into a sort of strange coping headspace without pre-warning....the time between diagnosis and surgery was one week. Anyhow just here to read about other peoples journeys and say g'day. J
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
melbourneboybor
Contributor

Re: Wife being trated for Breast Cancer

Good luck mate. Try and be patient for your wife. She has a lot on her mind aside from making sure she gets better for you and your kids Glad to hear they got to it quickly (diagnosis to surgery)
0 Kudos
JC
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your comments...I read your post and wow your year has been pretty crappy too. No one hear is a wimp, we are all emotionally exhausted and pushing on the best we can....good luck with your situation and thanks again for your comments.
0 Kudos
Catherine251
Occasional Contributor

Hi, It sounds like a really tough time for you all, I hope your wife is managing well with her treatment. How are the kids coping with the turn of events? I am 34 with Lymphoma and my kids are turning 4, 7 and 12 soon. It has been difficult for them to manage their emotions and anxiety at times, but at other times they're just normal kids struggling to understand that mum is sick and not as energetic as usual. Juggling cancer treatment with young kids is tough. Most patients in the Chemo day unit are over 60 and can come home to rest, without school and kinder runs, tantrums and constant demands. My husband is shouldering more of the load with housework and kids and I feel guilty about this. I'm also aware of how he's affected emotionally by having a wife with cancer. Thinking of you both at this tough time, Catherine
0 Kudos
Skye
New Contributor

Hi there Sorry to hear about your wife. i too have just been diagnosed with breast cancer, at 39, just 2 weeks ago and having surgery in 2 weeks. I can relate to the time frame being so quick. I think im still in shock. This is my first support group i have joined and its nice to see other people going through what I am. Thank you for writing your blog. you are my first email on this site. Its great that you managed to discover this early and have surgery. I know this must be a difficult time for you and your wife but i think if you have each other to support one another it will bring you through. My thoughts are with you both and thanks for sharing.
0 Kudos
JC
Occasional Contributor

Hi Catherine and Skymirel, Thankyou for your thoughts and I am sorry you find yourself in the place you are at the moment. This stuff just comes manically out of the blue and sends you into shock. It's ok though because you do come out of the shock phase and into some sort of crazy routine. Don't get me wrong there are times when it is emotionally exhausting but I look at the quality of care my wife is recieving from her cancer care medical team and all of our fantastic friends (small country town) and it boosts morale. I am still scared shitless of this beast but I have a strong belief that we will eventually be rid of it and in a strange way better for the experience. This has solidified my love for my wife and has put into perspective what is really important in life. Good luck and keep moving forward. JC
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.