my dad has GBM

tatsoi
Contributor

my dad has GBM

Hello people, About 5 weeks ago my dad (59) was diagnosed with GBM brain tumour. My life has changed so drastically in this time. (not as much as his and my mum's, i'm sure!) I had so many sad scary days.... waiting in hospital for results was terrifying. and then getting the prognosis, so heartbreaking! this forum helped so much to get me through. the first two weeks from initial CT scan were the worst.I felt like my whole word had ripped apart. the last couple of weeks I have been able to integrate this information into my life a little more. I have needed to. I have my own family to care for, and I want to enjoy all my moments I have with my beautiful dad. I live 4 hours away...further than I'd like...but I can still visit him often and plan to. After the MRI came back, he had a craniotomy. The surgeon was pleased with result, getting all the visible tumour. A biopsy was taken from the tumour which confirmed GBM. My dad started his treatment in Brisbane yesterday and is feeling good. My mum has noticed he's forgetful at times (and finds it challenging and frustrating). I have also noticed this...but it doesn't seem that he is consistently forgetful??...just some things, sometimes. He seems to get agitated and stressed easier than usual...and understandably...so much has changed for him.(like not being able to drive, not being so independent ...having a aggressive brain cancer!!! ) He can get grumpy with my mum...not so with me (but I guess our relationship is different) I'd love to make contact with others on a similar journey. I live in northern nsw and travel to brisbane and sunshine coast to see my parents. I know there is a brain tumour support group in brisbane and the gold coast...does anyone know any in northern nsw or sunshine coast? I feel so touched by the kindness, warmth and connection from people on this forum and by the people in my life. Wishing everyone the best on this journey. wishing everyone warmth with the ones they love and care for. xtatsoi
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: my dad has GBM

My partner gets grumpy with me from time to time but nicer than anything when his kids are around. He has Dex to take the blame 😞
0 Kudos
chinwag
Occasional Contributor

Re: my dad has GBM

My husband has a Grade 4 GBM has had 2 craniotomies in 5 weeks. He is 62 and was a fit healthy man & had 3 seizures, the first one beside me in bed at 3am. the next while the paramedics were on hand then another on the way to the hospital. The total shock of all this rocked us all & we live in CQ & have spent a great deal of time since July 13 here in Brisbane. He is having chemo orally & we are heading into our 5th wk of radium next wk with one to go before we head home. He is a champion, never complains but his short term memory is shot to pieces & lacks concentration at times & also gets snappy at me over little things but is fine with our daughter when she visits. we know the long term prognosis isn't good but it is frightening to know what lies ahead. this is such an emotional time for me as his carer & I try to keep upbeat & happy with him but I have my cries alone. I hope your mum can cope with the mood swings & we must remember this is not the person we had prior to this dreaded disease.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.