Endometrial cancer

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Re: Endometrial cancer

What the hell Claire? Don't call me Pepper. I'm the talented one. Pepper is my side kick. He is actually the one with all the shitty jokes.

Unfortunately the joke's on me.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the poem. It was going to be longer but I was running out of availability and I didn't want to leave it unfinished. I managed to work in something about most contributors to the thread.

So... to keep all the lunatics interested, I offer some therapy. Not many people are aware of the, but Elvis Costello is good for treating cancer. But not just... he is also good for treating symptoms of other cancer treatments. I'm sure the Cancer Council has this documented in several downloadable PDFs and pod casts. I encourage you to search for them. I was too lazy to look them up myself and post the links here for you. But it's okay, I'm happy for everyone to just believe me.

In my personal opinion, he is right up there with Sir Elton John as an effective cancer treatment. However, did you know that Elvis Costello is also good for treating depression, boredom, anxiety, frustration and abstinence. Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, he is not good for treating sore feet brought about from dancing away your cancer blues to Elvis Costello tunes. An unpleasant side effect.

So I proclaim to day to be Elvis Costello day. Please put it in your calendar. Did you know... on this day in history... nothing particularly special happened to Elvis Costello. I challenge you all to prove me wrong.

Anyhooo... HAPPY ELVIS COSTELLO DAY EVERYONE.

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Here are some of my favourites to help you celebrate. 

1. Watching the detectives. I play this on the accoustic guitar and I've adapted my own style. It still has the essence of the original reggae style, but there is only so much you can do when alone on an accoustic guitar.

2. You may remember this one from Austin Powers the spy who shagged me. Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal Davis. I'll never fall in love again.

3. She. Such a beautiful song. written by Charles Aznavour and Herbert Kretzmer. Elvis nailed this one.

Happy Elvis Costello day 😁

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Lampwork! I can see the cute gene runs in your family. Hubba hubba.

I love the skull idea. Totally on board with that one, but I'll let you in on a secret. You can tell the difference between alcohol and water by its meniscus. With water, the meniscus goes up. In alcahol, the meniscus goes down. Tell tale sign of clear spirits.

Love the flowers. I'm glad you've enjoyed your party. I hope Sir Elton was somewhere setting mood in the background. Happy Birthday

🌹🌺🌻🌼🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷

🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹🌺🌻

🌼🌷🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹

🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷

🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹🌺🌻

🌼🌷🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹

Lehiatus
Contributor

Didn’t Elvis marry that amazing jazz singer, Diana Kraul or crawl or croool or something like that? I remember seeing a doco or something.

Either way, I can’t prove you wrong and so it seems I must dance away my Sunday- which should make for fine viewing given my current joint stiffness, it’s like a broken robot stomp with a grimace and an occasional pit stop for toileting. How I love a challenge!

thanks again for the fine poetry Phil, I’ll never ever call you Pepper again, unless you’re being a totally shit version of yourself for the day. Which seems highly unlikely, so we can forget that ever happened Smiley Wink and please accept my apology. 

Off i dance! Be well and hope you have an amazing Sunday! 

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Come on Claire. You know I'm the forgiving type. And truth be told, Pepper's jokes are funnier than mine. We are both into toilet humour .

Diana Krall. I didn't know much about their marriage. I just looked it up. They were married on Elton John's estate near London. Wow! He is also one of us. A victim of cancer.

I am familiar with that dance step you described. I think I saw it on Dancing with the stars. Or maybe the Melbourne comedy festival or Monty Python. Actually, I think I've danced it myself. Although one feels like a right clown dancing it alone.

Keep dancing the good fight. I'm making the most of this beautiful weather before cycle 3 starts on Wednesday.

Ciao

Lehiatus
Contributor

Hi @Lampwork54 

i would have paid to see you skull that skull! I love your photos too, some craziness, happiness and gorgeousness right there, sounds like you have a brilliant day! Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! I’m so stoked for you, the photo of you and your daughters made me a little teary, not entirely sure why, but perhaps it’s seeing that even with all of the pain you’ve gone through, there is vast joy and happiness to be had. It’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing it with us... 

With the website, I noticed the lack of nutrition and some of the really helpful stuff you’ve been sharing about natural complimentary treatments. I know the council probably needs to only share scientifically backed stuff, but with a big disclaimer on the page, I think they could put up some content about organic food, food as medicine and alternative treatments. Smoothie recipes, acupuncture, and yes- facing end of life stuff at the bottom of the list. There’s no denying it needs to be there, but before it- should always be hope. 

The other thing I think would be beautiful if it isn’t done already, is a way to set up crowd funding for wigs and treatment cost. A form and a page you can set up and share via email and/or social media for friends and family. Not sure about you, but so many of my friends don’t know how to help, so this gives them a way to do something, and it could be set up by a family member. I know logistically there’s issues, but something to explore...

anyway, Sunday’s are for more leisurely stuff like coffee next to the fire. What are you up to today?

cheers, Claire x

Lehiatus
Contributor

By the way LW, I forgot to say thanks for this info about Dettol and the moisturiser or makeup before treatment, this is the stuff that’s REALLY helpful for others going into treatment.The bio oil is now on my list of things to buy. In your photo I could see your skin looks radiant- best testimonial!

strangely enough, I’m also seeking out pretty dark movie content at the moment. It helps me cry, which is something that’s simmering under the surface a bit, coming from a British background, the ‘stiff upper lip’ approach to a crisis is hard to shake. I’ve been seeing a psychologist for the past few weeks who seems to think I should cry a bit more. So I whack on a super emotional movie and have at it Smiley Very Happy kinda funny really. 

Anyway, have a great rest of your weekend, hope the celebrating continues! X

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Parenthood with Steve Martin. Makes me cry.

Lehiatus
Contributor

No worries @Budgie  for the late reply, I’m super tardy. Got distracted by Phil and his amazing poetry! 

Hows the new family member going and the increase in cuddles? 

What have you been up to this weekend? 

I’ve ventured into the garden to supervise some planting- we planted golden beetroots and removed weeds from the veggie beds. In our makeshift greenhouse (the kitchen glass sliding door) we’ve got corn, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, Angelica, tarragon, borage, dahlia, thyme and fig and mulberry in various stages growing to plant. Getting outside for just a few minutes a Day seems to be the thing I look forward to most, how about you?

hope you’re enjoying this drizzly a Sunday (here in Newlyn North we’re heading into 0 degree weather again!)

x Claire 

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Thank you all.  Yes, Claire, people have commented on how well I look and I attribute it to the bio oil.   My daughter in law bought it for me to heal the scar on my neck but I wasn't able to use it on the scar throughout radiotherapy.  Luckily I still have more hair, just thinned out a bit during treatment.  I think I should write to Dettol, be put on commission and develop their anti bacterial cream into a wonder cream for burns.  I'm just really happy that even one thing, helps someone else.  

I also think the Victorian Cancer Council needs to work on its website.  My surgeon said after giving me the diagnosis, Just keep doing whatever it is you do.  I found that unhelpful.  Whatever I was doing - and I was always eating healthy - had given me cancer so his trite comment did not help me at all nor give me any hope.  Even now I'm finding it difficult to eat.  I have no appetite and everything tastes like nothing.  I feel like I am in a slump nutritionally.  I have a dietician supplied chocolate drink that is packed with nutrition and even struggle to drink two of those a day.  I think I'm feeling a bit hopeless about food.  Too many questions and dilemmas.  Everything seems as if it will give you cancer, is carcinogenic or not worth eating.  I'm hoping this is just because of a lack of appetite anyway and will improve in the coming weeks.  Last night I at a slice of garlic pizza with a knife and fork.  Tiny, tiny pieces cut up to be able to swallow it.  Took ages and it seems too difficult to eat anything substantial.

I agree that getting out in the garden helps to reconnect you with life.  I feel as if I've lived in this quiet bubble for many, many weeks and it's a little hard to emerge.  Kept wondering what normal would look like and feel like.  It was a bit harsh and confronting!  My hearing has become far more sensitive than it used to be.  I really did find last night's noise level extremely high.  I think today I will retreat back into that bubble for a while and just recover.  I bought myself two beautiful cookery books on patisseries and baking.  I think I will go off on a journey of cooking over the next few weeks and months.  I found invitations to go and do "stuff" with other people difficult too.  I've had to say that I don't know what the next two weeks in particular will bring but I've been warned by health professionsals that the after affects could possibly be difficult.  I think I need to get to a point where I'm confident in myself to go out and about again in a normal way.  Luckily, the school holidays are coming up.  I won't be taking the grandchildren and dogs away these  holidays as that would be way too much normal for me right now.  I will just have the kids here and the age range is 15 to 9 for all 11 of them.  One of my children usually take time off so we can go away but this term everyone's a bit tight on holiday leave.  

This is the part I love most with my grandchildren.  Going away with them and the dogs.  I'm always looking for scary films to show them.  A few years ago I took the Poltergeist away with us.  They almost lost their minds.  They loved being scared to death but two of my grand daughters were so scarred that they hate clowns and any dolls looking at them in their bedrooms!  I have driven my children mad by spending so much time with their children.  No Nestle products are allowed in their houses.  Nothing with palm oil.  They have very strong political opinions, worry for the Great Barrier Reef, climate change, the refugee situation etc.  A few of them think they will become Prime Minister and do a much better job.  I took my eldest grand son to a protest about Aboriginal settlement closures a few years ago.  We sat in the middle of Flinders Street, Melbourne and it is a moment I will always remember.  Since then, every grand child wants to go to a protest so I'm taking them to march in the protest on the 20th September in Melbourne in the Extinction Rebellion.  My children always have the option of organising alternative child care in school holidays but never seem to do so.  As many of them are coming into their teenage years, my husband and I will be escaping in 2021 to travel around Australia.  One lot of teenagers was bad enough.  I don't want to go through it again with these new teenagers that live in a much more precarious and difficult world.  Phil - I also love long car rides with the grandchildren.  We do the best ever - rendition of Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody.  I love that they share their music with me too.  Our holidays are often all singing, all dancing and entertaining adventures.  Most of the girls do dancing, and/or drama, music, aerial fitness and kung fu.  I think it's why it is so loud when they all get together with big voices, music, singing and dancing.  Magical times and I hope I get to enjoy many, many more of them.  I will definitely be introducing some more Elton John to them.  

I guess this diagnosis gives us perspective.  What's the most important to you?  What do you value?  It usually comes back to love and family.  What we can give.  What difference we can make in this world.  What time and attention we can give to a child to make them feel loved, special, hopeful and confident in the world.  My youngest daughter's birthday is tomorrow.  (Yes, I did bloody well spend my birthday in the labour ward once)!!  I bought her perfume and told her that because it was called JOY I wanted to give it to her because that's what she brings to our family every day since her birth.  She loved it and she is the essence of joy.  

Ending on a more positive note - it's lovely and quiet now.  I might even get up some courage today and make some glass beads.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

My apologies.  I seem to write essays !

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.