Endometrial cancer

Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Endometrial cancer

Thanks Phil, 🙂.  I've been loving the sunshine.  It's coming in patches today though.  

Old Cooma Road - I hated that road because it was so blooming bumpy - we have a van & the suspension isn't fantastic. (I don't know why but, after you've had a few organs removed from your body, going over bumpy roads can really hurt).   We moved from the area just when they started getting things ready to do the work. 

How are you going with this cycle?  I understand what you are talking about - dreading the return of the meds.  My first chemo was a tablet I took daily for two weeks then had two weeks off.  By the end of the two weeks off I was only just able to enjoy food again.  It was torture.

I'm thinking that my current treatment isn't working any more, or at least, as well as it should be.  I'm starting to get little niggling pains & twitches in areas of previous tumours.  I have scans booked for towards the end of next month, so we shall see what news they bring.

How are all your fur babies going?

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Hello all,

I hope your week is going as well as it can be 💕

Glad to hear the Old Cooma Road is finally getting upgraded!!

I am in and out today, headed off to a hospital appointment this arvo - nothing serious, just a sleep study followup. So I am just going to leave you all with what I deem the absolutely most annoying song that my kids sing...

I guarantee you'll be hearing it forever 🤣

Cheers,

Kate

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Kate

I'm sitting here in hospital about to dose up on Oxaliplatin because... well I have to. I thoroughly respect you and your position and I never expect someone like yourself to deceive me. Therefore, when you say it's annoying and won't get it out of my head... I totally believe you.

So I refuse to listen to your selected song choice while I sitting here tethered to a drip that's filling me with poison. I'm suffering enough.

I have a counter offer. Yoga pants. This will cure repetitive songs that get stuck in people's heads.

😁

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Group

@Lehiatus @Lampwork54  @RJG  @Katekat @Budgie 

Tonight is aweful. Worst first night on a chemo cycle.

Chemo sucks balls.

It's funny though . Trying to type and my thumb is twitching. Making me hit the wrong letters. Have to keep correcting.

I couldn't find my rhythm. I started this cycle like others. Anxious and depressed. Positivity escape me. At least it has today. To the point where I still can't listen to Kate's song in case it get's stuck in my head.

I'm keen to hear how you all are. You guys are awesome. I hope your all happy and dancing a Charleston or something as cool.

Cheers

Phil

Lehiatus
Contributor

Hey Phil,

Sorry to hear that the chemo is back to it’s evil ways. I’ll make sure I yell out a mighty expletive combo here on your behalf. The thumb thing, is that expected or a new side effect to add into the mix?

Here it’s not too bad, comparatively. I feel crap and like a total whinge complaining which is kinda why I’ve been hanging back a bit. You see the surgery infection is cleared, but it has dropped me into surgical menopause. Apparently as my quite officious surgeon said ‘most women are up and around in no time and no I don’t think it’s that that’s making your bones ache’

The hormones or whatever it is they’ve got me on at the ripe young age of 41 are both making me nuts, like bonafide Jekyll and Hyde and I’m waking up unable to get my joints going- knuckles, elbows, shoulders, knees- it’s like being 41 trapped in an 80yr old body. Sleep is elusive too- just can’t get comfortable.

The tests they’ve done show no inflammation markers, but I’m a mess at the end of each day, everything aches- even my teeth-and at best I’m able to perform a drag and shuffle dance. The worst bit is the doctors conversations where I'm

constantly being made to feel like it’s in my head, or getting stupidly vague answers like ‘yep this is probably menopause pain, let’s up your dosage’. 

In my mind I’m thinking, hang on- I’ve started this whole thing 10 yrs early, so do I have another 20 yrs of this?

So, I’m swinging between gratitude for getting an ‘all clear’ and realizing just how insanely lucky I am to a full blown pity party with cake, candles and a daily party song.

To top it off my 5yr old is on school holidays but has a nasty case of croup and I’m home looking after him. At about 3 o’clock yesterday I was looking at the cost of airfares to anywhere in the world and searching ‘retreats’. HA! 

Clearly, even when gnarled over, kicked in the guts, dragging myself back up through the quagmire, this lady still has some moves left in the bag! 😉

How is everyone else going? 

BTW Phil, I haven’t listened to the song either- protecting what little sanity I have left. Sorry @Katekat but I reckon it’ll be a good recovery litmus  😉 

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Ginger

Sorry you feel like crap. You brought a rew tears to my eyes. If you can muster up a gentle sway to get you through, it might be all you need.

Like me, you are not dealing with the cancer. It's the treatment and the aweful side affects that come for it. I have to take my own advice and sway the pain away.

My wife had a hysterectomy young. Gave her a lot of issues. She was on Estrogen therapy for a little while but in some ways made things worse. As someone who has been on the recipient's side of surgical menopause, my recommendation is to keep explaining it to family and friends. Let them know how you feel and what your extreme feelings are. And let them know you are sorry if you upset them. Sometimes you'll want a cuddle and other times be left alone. Sometimes both at the same time. It's important they know this and are not hurt. 

Funny. I started describing a hysterectomy journey. I think it also described a cancer journey.  On the lighter side, I occasionally ask my wife if she wants to start a family... like she still has a uterus. She rolls her eyes at me (So slowly I can hear them grind) because we have a Brady Bunch and the youngest just turn 18. And my eldest grand child turn 6. No wonder I have so much grey hair.

It's bad for your son to be suffering croup. Croup is crap. Hated when my kids had it. At least I was healthy when I had to look after them. No matter how sick you are, you can't stop being a mum. This is the theme from my favourite movie, parenthood. It doesn't matter how old they get, they are still your children. The love doesn't go away. You are always a parent. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Hang in there Ginger. Our thoughts are with you. I'll leave you with this thought...

All the frozen corps on Mount Everest were fit and healthy go getters when they died. Think about that when your feeling sick and lazy. You are at less risk of dying than they were.

Take care

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Claire,

I also had a total hysterectomy when I was 44.  The hormone pill they popped in was supposed to last 6 - 12 months, so I was told.  I must have been very lucky, because I've never had any issues, & haven't worried about having any further HRT.   I'm 55 now.   I've heard on the radio recently (a few months ago) though, that HRT can increase the risks which cause cancer.  Where does it all end? - everything these days can cause cancer.

I'm sorry that you're both feeling like crap @Lehiatus & @PhilPepper .   Claire, do you like ginger?  It should help with the joint pain if you have some each day. 

@Katekat I listened to your little ditty & can imagine why little ones would like it.  😖

Sending my well wishes to you all.  ❣️

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Ginger

We dodged a bullet. Budgie took one for the team.

I hope you like ginger. It's your new nick name. It's also good for nausea I'm told.

I'm about to get out of bed and start my sway. I think I'm at the point of frustration where I can just push through.

Thanks Budgie. For your kind sentiments and taking the bullet. I hope you watched the Yoga Pants clip.

Cheers

Budgie
Super Contributor

I did watch Yoga Pants, & I must say it was better than Kate's, but only because there was a bigger variation of words. 😉
Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Good morning et all!

I'm really sorry for those feeling terrible.  It's a long weekend in Victoria.  I love it.  Extra time for families to be together.  I went to the climate change demonstration with my grand child the week before last.  Was a little more tiring than I thought it would be.  I've had a big week with grandchildren on school holidays too.  Yesterday I went to the Prahran market and was thoroughly tired afterwards.  A good tired.  Rested and recovered well.  Every day is a bit better.  Bought artichokes to make soup which should be wonderfully healing and today am making the Jamie Oliver vegetable shepherd's pie.  I think my taste buds are just coming back slowly.  Sense of smell is better too.  

I don't know what to say about chemically induced menopause.  It must be so hard on top of everything else.  When I went through menopause naturally, I realised how much women are affected by their hormones.  From 12-14 onwards (sometimes earlier) to 40's and 50's.  Jut know that once you are through it, you will take a huge breath and sigh out sheer relief.  It's over and done.  Thank goodness.  Life now becomes steady and "normal" with no great highs and lows from hormones.  

I am really enjoying my garden right now and it's looking good.  The cherry, peach, crab apple, mandarine, lemon and lime trees are all blossoming beautifully.  In the last two years of my mother's life, she went blind from cataracts and was too frail for surgery.  I stopped buying her flowers because she could not see them anymore.  To help with the sadness of seeing her each week, I went to a nursery on the way home.  The money I would normally spend on flowers, I spent on plants and bulbs.  I'd tell my mother each week what I had planted and how things were going.  I planted lots and lots of clematis and we built big frames in front of the side fence.  We're going to entwine the plants into each other when  they're big enough and have almost every colour, to make a wall of colour for spring and summer.  Whenever I see all the bulbs - daffodils, crocus, etc., I am happy that my garden is a small legacy from my mother.  Sometimes it is the small things that bring us the greatest happiness.  

I hope that every day you can all find some happiness even in the smallest way.  Especially through music and dance, love and friendship, trials and tribulations.  We're here.  It will get better and every day we have to make it better, somehow.  Have a lovely Sunday and may the sun shine on you and yours. x

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.