Just diagnosed

Karen88
New Contributor

Just diagnosed

Yesterday I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer stage 4 which has spread to multiple lesions in my liver. First appointment with oncologist tomorrow and I’m scared stiff. Have been well all my life, no medications and now inoperable cancer.

6 REPLIES 6
Annette_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: Just diagnosed

Hi Karen 88

It's a shock to receive a cancer diagnosis, and scary to experience this unknown when you have been well for all your life. How did things go with your Oncologist?

If you feel as though you would like to speak with others living with a Pancreatic cancer diagnosis, and you live in Australia, you may consider our Cancer Council Telephone Support Group where sharing experiences and information, participants support each other through the ups and downs of cancer and treatment. Here is a link to information about Cancer Council Telephone Support Groups and how to make contact: https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/get-support/connect-with-others/

Welcome to this community, Annette

0 Kudos
Donotbeafraid
Occasional Contributor

Hi Karen, so sorry to hear about your news. But please do not be afraid. I think there is still cure.

I heard about a lot of cases who had 4th stages were cured by immunotherapy. Look into this option and it may save your life! Do not listen to or ask doctors about how long you can live for, they are not God, a lot of times their predictions are not right. I heard so many stories about people outlived their doctor's predictions. You are the owner of your life and how you live if will change how long you will live for.

The most important thing right now is just stay positive and DO NOT think about the what bad things might happen or your family might lose you.  We all die one day anyway, it's only a matter of time. Each day we are here, make it to the fullest, happiest, then you will suddenly find yourself living a normal happy life and so much longer!

JohnDenning59
Contributor

Hello Karen, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I, too, have S4 advanced pancreatic cancer, identified at stage 3 last July,  but recently diagnosed as terminal after it metastasized to my lungs and liver in April this year.

I've been doing the whole chemo and radiation thing since initial diagnosis, but since the latest development, I have opted away from these treatments and am going it alone, basically, with pain killers and the like.

Obviously there is much I can tell you about my journey so far, and I may be able to help you, to a degree, with the emotion side of things, as well as the physical journey this disease takes us on.

Let me know if you're interested in talking. I'm going to work out how to PM you my phone number. My name is Colin, by the way. I'm 59, nearly sixty, and I'm from Perth WA.

Colin

0 Kudos
JohnDenning59
Contributor

Hello, Annette, how do I send a PM please? I  want to pass on my phone number to someone.

Colin

0 Kudos
Donotbeafraid
Occasional Contributor

If you can not write numbers, maybe you can write them in words such as Zero Four...

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

If you go onto your profile and click on the envelope at the top you can send an email if that’s helpful! Linda G 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.