Liver cancer - secondary cancer

LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Liver cancer - secondary cancer

Hi PhilPepper, that’s fantastic news! Was thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you were. Thanks for letting us know. Hope you keep getting stronger 🙏. Such a relief for you! Will keep praying for you 💕. Linda G. Ps I also had good news this week as the results of my PET scan showed no more cancer after my treatment so I’m happy too!

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

I just met with the surgeon. Everything went well. He is very happy.  They'll unhook me soon and move me out of ICU.  He's predicting I'll go home early.

Having the laproscopy makes it so much better. I feel I could go home now.

sch
Super Contributor

Yay!

Good going mate. Let's hope the rest of your treatment goes this smoothly.

How's the family at home? (wife and dog).

-s

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi Phil,

Sorry for not responding earlier but I had no internet yesterday due to an overdue account that I'd forgotten to pay.  

I cannot imagine being sent home on the day surgery was to take place.  I know how much courage, fear and anxiety you have to go through to front up at a hospital for major surgery.  We live in difficult times and yes Covid may be boring but your story highlights exactly why we need to vaccinate and keep ourselves out of ICU or the hospital system will be overwhelmed and planned surgeries will not be able to take place.  

I think the time of your email was 12.39p.m. and ai thought of you writing it and not being able to sleep.  I think it should be mandatory that you are given something so you can sleep on the night after surgery.  There is nothing worse than being sleepless in a hospital, all by yourself and worrying.  I remember thinking- all the drugs in the world available in ICU and I cannot sleep.  That situation should be remedied in the future.  Perhaps we should advocate to people preparing for surgery to take a sleeping tablet with them.  I wouldn't normally suggest breaking rules but sleeplessness in a hospital is something I fear.

I wish you every success in your recovery from your surgery.  I know you will be dreading chemo and I hope they find one that is less harsh on your system.  You are braver than you know, stronger and more resilient than most people so I think you will come through this.  I'll be thinking of you for what lies ahead of you and hoping you can do this.  All the best to you and your family.

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Lampwork

It's nice catching up with you again.

I think was luck not sleeping. I was suffering some sleep apnea conditions with was unfortunate. and everytime I went to sleep , my oxygen saturation dropped and the alarms worked me up. I'm making up for it now.

I've been up and walking around and been stretching my abs to move around.  So I have more pain now. I'm off for a CT scan to look for potential blood clots. Just precautionary. 

i'll start solid food for lunch if they can find me a spare tray.

Talk soon

xo

sch
Super Contributor

Dear PP,

How are you travelling?

You must be almost back on your feet by now.

Remember to keep up the walking as much as you can.

How did the solid food go down?

Any complications?

Hopefully they've let you out of hospital by now and you can get a good nights sleep at last.

Just make sure you take enough pain killers so that you stay mobile. It makes a real difference to recovery

How did you CT scan go?

-s

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi 

Been back on my feet for a week. Being walking daily. Aiming for optimal exercise and activity without overdoing it. Trying to make sure my lungs are working well and avoiding pneumonia.  The CT scan showed some cloudiness in my lungs, so breathing has been my target.

I have been trying to wean myself from strong pain killers, but it was too early, so I've had to start them up again. mainly because I did overdo it with being too active.

In any case, just focussing on surgery recovery in the short term. Not had any new appointments made yet. Waiting to hear the results of my liver pathology. 

I hope you are well.

cheers

Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

PP

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. 

I just had surgery a few days ago to remove a few lumps from under my armpit. 

Maybe later my feelings will change if I find out I do have cancer. Right now the waiting is difficult for my family and I. 

It feels like we are always waiting.  Waiting to see a doctor, waiting to get a date for images, waiting for them to come back, waiting to hear what they found, waiting for CT scan day,  waiting for results, waiting for surgery day and waiting on biopsy results..

Because people like yourself sharing their journey with people who don't know helps .

I feel guilty because I don't think what I have is anywhere as bad as others are dealing with. I  would love to trade places with someone who is much younger than me. 

Your blog helps me be thankful in many ways. 

Stay strong. I hope you have family and support around 

sch
Super Contributor

I hope the walking is going well and you're well and truly back on your feet.

By now your results should be back so I hope they were all ok.

What are the next steps? More scans, or the dreaded "wait and see"?

Any longer term side effects from the surgery?

I hope everything is OK mate.

-s

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.