Newly diagnosed

AprilMay
Occasional Contributor

Newly diagnosed

Hi, my name is April, I was just diagnosed yesterday with stage 3c2 Cervical cancer. I need to be strong for the people I care about. But I just want someone to hear me say I’M SCARED.

9 REPLIES 9
TrishLeonard
Visitor

Re: Newly diagnosed

AprilMay
No one has replied to you in 15hrs. Well I hear uou sweetheart, you're scared and you have every right to be, that's a typical emotional response. I know society tells uou to be strong and you will be, but right now it's ok to want someone yo hold you while you have a cry. I hope you have s someone who will give you that hug xx
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi AprilMay,

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  It's never pleasant or easy, & it's normal to be scared.   Do you know what's going to happen next with your treatment?  Surgery or chemo/radiation?  I suppose it's a bit early yet.  It is a very big shock to hear you actually have cancer, isn't it?  One minute you're cruising along with life, & the next minute your world comes crashing down around you.

It's scary not knowing what's going to happen, whether or not you're going to live through it or die.  But one thing to remember is that death is a natural part of the big cycle.  It comes to all of us - for some of us, it comes too soon.  Whenever I start thinking about my impending death,  I remember this.  It helps me put things into perspective.  I think back on my life & realise that I'm happy with what I've done, what I've achieved; & while I'd absolutely love to keep on living, & will do everything in my power to stay alive, I'm ok with dying.  

I'm sorry for my long ramble.

Do you have any immediate family that can give you support?  Please tell us about your self, if you want to.

Budgie 

sch
Super Contributor

Hi April,

I'm sorry to hear this.

I agree with Budgie. I'd like to hear more about your you!

How were you diagnosed?

Who are the people that you need to be strong for?

-sch

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi April,

I'm sorry you're scared.  This diagnosis is unlike anything else.  Fear just jumps right in and takes over.  Every thought is touched by it.   Once you know what needs to be done and are prepared for it, you'll hopefully feel much better.  Try to turn the fear into positivity as that will help you greatly.  See the people who are going to help you as brilliant, wondrously skilled professionals who know exactly what to do to get you through this because it's true.  

Try to get good medication so that you're not awake in the night sleepless and scared because that's an awful situation.  Good luck and do please let us know what happens next.  

0 Kudos
AprilMay
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for answering and caring. I’m feeling more calm at the moment, I’m just going to go on the Journey I guess and see where it takes me. It doesn’t really feel quite real on one hand, and on the other hand it’s so real it’s hard to think about anything else. I’ll just take it as it comes, and try to stay as positive as possible.

Thank you for again 😊

AprilMay
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Budgie,

I was diagnosed with stage 3C2 cervical adenocarcinoma. I still don’t really understand a lot about it.

I was told that it has spread too far for surgery. I’ll  be having external radiation therapy, daily, Mon. to Fri. for 5 weeks, and then internal radiation, I’ll also be doing Chemo once a week.

I’m still struggling to believe it’s actually happening to me and that it’s gone so far.
I hope I can get to a stage where I feel as calm as you sound 🙂
I have 4 biological children, 2 step children, 4 grandchildren (Another on the way) siblings, wonderful in-laws, a few incredible friends and an amazingly supportive husband. I’m very lucky to have the support that I have.
I’m still working, and my workplace has said that I can work as much or as little as I feel able to, they have been more understanding and supportive than I could have hoped for. 
Thank you for your words.

AprilMay
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lampwork,

Thank you, I do believe that once a plan has been set I’ll feel less out of control. I know my treatment plan, but not when it starts. I have 2 appointments in 2 different hospitals for consultations in the next few weeks. I’m hoping to have a better idea of what’s ahead after these.
You’re right sleeping isn’t easy at the moment.

I am going to fight as hard as I can. I have a lot to stay around for.

Thank you

CiennaR
Contributor

Hi AprilMay,

It is very natural to be scared upon hearing that you have cancer.   I have lived with cancer for almost 3 years and there have been plenty of times I have been scared not only of the cancer but of tests. procedures, awaiting test results.  When you are first diagnosed with cancer, it is all so new so ask plenty of questions to your medical team as this will help make treatment, etc. less scary.

I found that even though treatments can be uncomfortable,  I got some peace in knowing I was fighting the cancer, hence doing something positive.  There will be times when you will be down, that is natural, just try to rest.  If it helps to talk, talk.  If you need silence, that is good too.

Best wishes to you,

CiennaR

Budgie
Super Contributor

It sounds like you have a great support network around you. 😊

I also have 4 children, with 4 grandchildren & one on the way (the one on the way being to a different child).  They certainly bring a wonderful level of joy.

Good luck with your treatment AprilMay.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.