Question

debbru
Contributor

Question

I don't understand why I have to have chemo before surgery for breast cancer, when someone I know only had to have surgery for his kidney cancer he had about 5 years ago.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Question

Morning @debbru, generally that is done in order to shrink a tumour prior to surgery.

Have you been diagnosed recently? You may like to call (02) 9334 - 1870 and speak to one of the team regarding our Cancer Connect program here at Cancer Council, where we will endeavour to match you with someone who has had the same or similar cancer and/or treatment, so you can have a chat with someone who has been through what you are going through and come out the other side.

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
debbru
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I understand that but why when someone goes through Kidney cancer, surgery is all they need.

0 Kudos
traii
Regular Visitor

Hi @debbru

I've heard that Kidney cancer cells don't respond well in majority of patients to chemo there for standard treatment is surgery. 

I had a lumpectomy, chemo then mastectomy for BC.

I personally took the aggressive approach due to my age at time of diagnosis.

Every cancer is different, every treatment is different based on many factors.

Hope this helps with your question.

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi debbru,

I have stage 4 kidney cancer & I started out with surgery to remove the affected kidney.  Then, when I had healed enough, I went on to a daily oral chemo.  As traii said, kidney cancer doesn't respond to the normal chemo or radiation treatments, so treatment  will usually start with surgery.  If there are no metastases, then usually, surgery is all that is required.

All the best

Budgie

looker_labs
Contributor

If you can't just get a lumpectomy, you need a mastectomy.
If it involves both breasts some chemo would be advised. Even if it is just one wouldn't you rather be safe? Or else, and not to worry, your surgeon may see-feel a tumor close to the ribs or breastbone. He/she is looking for an outcome that will have your indicators positive and done after the operation instead of waiting for a bad outcome after the surgery. There are also cosmetic concerns.  Believe me, surgeons are VERY aware of their statistics and being par or above par for non-followups is paramount

0 Kudos
debbru
Contributor

Thank you for your email. I know a mastectomy is a more radical surgery but I think I would go for it rather than a lumpectomy, just because I would be feel safer, knowing the cancer is completely gone in that breast. Does that make sense.

looker_labs
Contributor

That's very brave.

A lot of women want the implant(s) to retain the look

of clevage.

you can try this:

https://www.23andme.com/

it's nothing new

I hope they did it;  can be done with vl matter  blood saliva pap

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.