Skin care during radiation

angieh
Contributor

Skin care during radiation

Hello, I am due to commence radiation (35 treatments in 7 weeks) plus chemo. The radiation is on my tonsils, tongue, palate and some small nodes in neck.  I understand there will be burning to the skin. Can I please have recommendations for what to put on my 56 year old skin during this time? I am happy to buy something but have no idea where to start. (The pharmacy aisle is too overwhelming).  Thanks for any tips.

31 REPLIES 31
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Skin care during radiation

Hi @Angie,

I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing today?

Was there a nurse at your place of treatment that spoke to you or is going to speak to you about what lies ahead? The nurse will recommend you get something soothing and gentle for your skin for example: sorbolene, aloe vera or paw paw creams.

You should be able to see the nurse at any time - you can also ask your radiation therapist to make an appointment for you if you need to. You may also want to enquire about using a mouthwash as your treatment progresses.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?? @CaptainAustrali or @Anonymous - you both might have some thoughts on this too.

Cheers,

Kate

-Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

When I did mine, I agreed to a clinical trial of a new skin cream (this was 3 years ago), I'm so sorry but I can't remember the product they were trialling but they wanted to prove that it statistically improved outcomes with regard to radiation burns and dermatitis.

About as useful as a concrete soccer ball, I am.

I don't actually know if it works or not, because I got the control group and was given sorbalene only .. and it was AWFUL, I had to quit the trial because the sorbalene gave no relief to some really nasty burns
BUT, this is where I may have something of use, and it might be cheaper and more accessible than this other stuff anyway:

MOO GOO

It's an off the shelf skin-care product, natural ingredients.  When I had pain and stretchy, leathery skin from the radiation and needed to go off the sorbalene one of the senior nurses recommended MOO GOO and it was really good for relief.  Rub it on generously, cover with a thick dressing, and your neck feels a bit better while it's healing up.

angieh
Contributor

Thank you for helpful advice. A nurse also tol me Moogoo, bu didn’t say where to buy it. I have been googling chemist warehouse etc but no luck so far. I am sure I will find it eventually. Cheers

Lolie
Contributor

I was given a gift pack containing samples of Moo Goo products when I started treatment and I wasn't overly impressed.  You can order them directly from the Moo Goo website, though, and it's free shipping for orders over $80.

https://moogoo.com.au/

Another range of products which is often recommended by patients and healthcare workers is E45.  Chemist Warehouse does stock that - I just bought the cream.

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Hey Hey - I can say firsthand moo goo provides relief and it doesn't sting or anything when applied.  My severe burns really hurt when putting on basic stuff like sorbalene.

If you don't want to shop online, check the hospital pharmacy.  If they have a radiation oncology ward, then they probably have a pharmacy that has moogoo on the shelf.  (RBWH did).  That's the best tip I can think of anyway, sorry if it doesn't yield fruit.

angieh
Contributor

Oh that will be easy then because my treatment will be at RWH. I will find the pharmacy when I am there on Monday. Thanks for the tip.
0 Kudos
Carlz9
Occasional Contributor

I agree, Moogoo has been great for me! If I was you I'd order online and order the 1 litre tubs. The Milk Wash is lovely and gentle, but cleansing and the Skin Milk Udder Cream is beautifully moisturizing. I use the code "livelovenourish" and get 15% off online. They do have a chemo pack that is good too.

Another natural brand I love is Weleda, they have a cream called Skin Food. It's super thick, if you find you need something stronger. But it is a bit more expensive.

Good luck with your treatment!

0 Kudos
angieh
Contributor

Hello, thank you for the tips.

I bought the Skin Milk Udder Cream. Can you tell me what you use for shampoo and conditioner?  Apparently I will keep my hair, though it will get thinner and will lose some patch at the base of my hairline.  Do you also use the Moo Goo hair products? Something else?

thanks for any tips you have,

Angela

0 Kudos
Carlz9
Occasional Contributor

Hi Angela,

I know Moogoo do samples, you could email or call them and explain and ask for a couple of samples to check it doesn't irritate. They are really helpful, especially with medical stuff. Their deodorant and sunscreen is good too, if you're looking for something without all the toxins.

I've also switched my toothpaste to Grants mild mint, which you can get from Coles. My usual toothpaste was too strong. But my side effects are from chemo and an immunotherapy drug that effects your epidermal growth factor receptors, ie skin, mouth. So could be completely different.

Good luck!

Carly

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.