Taste

Rico2018
Occasional Contributor

Taste

Hello Friends

I was treated recently for skin cancer under my jaw.   I had some chemo and main treatment was Radiation.  During my treatment, I was okay as I was eating to keep my weight.  4 weeks have now passed since my radiation treatment and unfortunately, I lost taste after 7 weeks.  My taste is slowly coming back but depending on the type of food I eat.  However, it is not what it used to be.  I have an after taste of some kind in my mouth - very medicinal or salty.

Does anyone know if the taste ever comes back or improves over time?

I would be grateful for any comment.

Rico

4 REPLIES 4
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Taste

Hi @Rico2018 ,

I'm glad you've finished your treatment.  Your taste should come back, eventually.   You'll just have to give it time.  Regarding the medicinal or salty taste, I can't think of anything that will mask them.  Good luck.  🙂

Budgie

PeterK
Contributor

Hi Rico 2018
I started chemo in late 2011for S3 Oesophageal cancer slow progression back to near normal taste in early 2019
In late 2019 & 2020 it mastersized S4 terminal, so now I eat what I like and for enjoyment but somethings still taste like cardboard.
Vegemite on toast with melted cheese, peanut butter with jam on toast is good, spaghetti bog is good,
Wishing you all the very best in your journey, stay strong and be strong,
Regards & Best Wishes.
🌺✔️🌺✔️🌺✔️🌺
Rico2018
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Peter and a big God Bless!
0 Kudos
Rico2018
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Budgie and God Bless
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.