hi there, I've got newly diagnosed anal cancer

Not applicable

hi there, I've got newly diagnosed anal cancer

Hi every one. just introducing my self here. I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and am probably still reeling. Tomorrow I have a full CT scan to plan treament and look for any other cancers. This one is small, stage 1. issues just now are pain management. A hot water bottle I was given yesterday to shift the focus of sensation and to feel cosy/comforted has been really good. I had one mental "melt down" that was about the pain rather than about cancer concerns. Th other thing I have questions about is useful tecniques and complementary therapies to support the healing from the side effects of pelvic radiation and chemotherapy. My work is as a researcher looking at the impact of a cancer diagnosis on sexuality; it's ironic that I get this particular cancer. What's good? I haven't laughted like this on a daily basis, ever before in my life. I'm finding out who my real friends are and making new ones. 've found out there are lots of bum jokes and we can alwayus invent some more. that's all for now. I'll try and participate in this site and really appreciate any feedback. cheers jan
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Terrafirma
Contributor

Re: hi there, I've got newly diagnosed anal cancer

Hi Ms Jan, Here's a couple of suggestions for sources of information on the internet relating to radiation treatment. On the Breastcancer.org website http://breastcancer.org there is an article called "Radiation Therapy" here http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/ including "Skin Care Tips" here http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/skin/care.jsp and a radiation forum called "Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After" http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70 Some of this information and discussion is relevant to radiation therapy for any kind of cancer. Now I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation but radiation to the pelvic region can harm the delicate tissues of the vagina and cervix and vulva and result in some scar tissue forming, and also reduce lubrication and expansion of the vagina during arousal. There is some good discussion about this topic and links to sources of information in Baldylocks' group "Vagina" on the My Crazy Sexy Life website, including the threads in that group's discussion forum http://my.crazysexylife.com/group/vagina I stress I'm not a medical person and the info I've given here is based on internet reading. I hope this helps a bit, Cheers - Ed
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank for all those links Ed. I'll see if we can get remedy here. I do have time to get some from an internet seller if I need to. many thanks, Jan
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi MsJan and welcome to the site. :) There are a couple of people on here who have had the same cancer and perhaps they might jump in and help out with some specific info. It is great that you are looking ahead and trying to help yourself get through the treatment in the best way. With radiation you need to be careful as to what will react with the skin. Saline solution will be your friend and having a bath would help for you to soak each day. Get a routine happening before you get any effects and honey is another thing that can help with healing skin. I used it during my radiation and the technicians were ok with that one. :) Thinking of you as you head off for your scan. Julie
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi Ms Jan, My cancer was bowel cancer but with the number of colonoscopies etc that I've had, bum humour is all the norm in my family!!The same surgeon does all of the family's dolonoscopies so needless to say there are often jokes about that as well and how much of us he has seen. Having a third of my bowel removed does give me leave for fart jokes as well. I no longer have to blame the dog! Good luck with all that you are now facing and don't be frightened to have emotional or physical meltdowns. Those of us here understand to some extent or another what you are experiencing. Take care, Samex
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Samex, the laughter is so good. I'm getting more good information from here than from medical staff so far. Not their fault I'm being slotted into the system so things are a bit rushed cheers Jan
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Ms Jan, Don't be afraid to ask questions of the medical staff.While they are often very rushed, my experinece was that oncology professionals are a breed apart and I found that they always took the time if I asked the questions. Take care and keep laughing where possible! Samex
0 Kudos
craftyone
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan, I had chemo and radiotherapy for rectal cancer in 2000. Due to mine being a very aggressive genetic form of cancer, I have had numerous operations as well, starting with a total colectomy and removal of half my rectum in my mid 20's. I know all the fun of a "sore" bum, but hopefully you will have a fully functioning system post GETTING RID OF THIS CANCER treatment. Thank goodness that it has been found early. The chemo and radiotherapy that I did have worked - YEAH!!!! as mine was outside the bowel at the time. I have got a lot of scarring, but then I do have an ileostomy and that combined with the rest of the treatments have left an "impression". I also see a gynaecologist who has helped a lot post "all this". Bum jokes!!! I have lived with bum jokes most of my life, as our family diagnosis came out with my mother who finished up with only 3 inches of rectum and a lot of rushing to the toilet. There used to be a statement of "anyone need to go, go NOW!!" as she would sometimes be there for an hour or more, especially the first 12 months. My grandfather sometimes got upset at the "stirring" and jokes that were made of it, but that's what got her through. Let us know how you go, and if you need any assistance or humour, just get in touch. I am not sure how hard it will be for you to go through the combined treatments, as my bowel was already shortened and the effects would be different to yours. Good luck and keep in touch, hope this has been some help craftyone
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.