Head and Neck Cancer

Ollie
Deceased

Head and Neck Cancer

Hi, it’s several years since I have been on this site.  I am a 55 year old who is 4 years post jaw reconstruction and removal of neck lymph nodes for a squamous cell cancer in the cheek which had spread to my jaw. I had a few chemo sessions with 6 1/2 weeks of radiotherapy. Then 2 years ago I had a tongue cancer on the other side and had a partial glossectomy. 

For some time I have had pain in my lower lip which I wonder whether is nerve pain. It’s not present all the time and isn’t sore at night but when the pain is there it is very uncomfortable. I had the area checked by my surgeon some time ago and there is nothing obvious to see apart from a lip which has some discolouration. I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced anything similar. I’m not sure who to see about it or what treatments I could try. 

I would appreciate any comments. 

Regards Ollie

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Head and Neck Cancer

Welcome back @Ollie, it's great to see you here!

Sorry to hear about the pain you're experiencing, it must be pretty frustrating for you that it's not something that is pinned down easily Heart

Has anyone here had any experience with what Ollie has described and can offer some tips or insight?

0 Kudos
Ollie
Deceased

Thanks for your post Kate. I realise it is an uncommon problem. I have now worked out that it may be related to a tooth that is closest to the area of the surgery that I have been told will need to be removed at some stage. I will need to follow this up and discuss options and things that may help with healing. 

0 Kudos
Ollie
Deceased

I would also like to ask if anyone has any suggestions for sores on lips and lip and mouth dryness. I think I have tried every lip balm and dry mouth treatment that I know of but I have recently developed a small sore on my lip which is just a small reddened area. It hasn’t changed at all but isn’t getting any better. My GP gave me some Kenacomb ointment which hasn’t  made any difference. I’m assuming it’s not healing because of the radiotherapy to the area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.  

Riny
New Contributor

Hi there sorry you're suffering with the dry mouth. I found a thing called Xylimelts which I purchased on EBay is really the best especially at night. It's a bit expensive but well worth it. For the sore spot, I use paw paw ointment. Also there's a toothpaste I buy on EBay called Squiggle. It's the only toothpaste that doesn't hurt. It does have some fluoride. Good luck with it all.
0 Kudos
Riny
New Contributor

Have you tried regular circumnavigate. I find it useful for my neck and tongue pain.
0 Kudos
Ollie
Deceased

Hi Riny

Thanks very much for your reply. I haven’t heard of the toothpaste so it’s handy to know about. I’m using Dentamed gel at the moment which is effective.  I have used Xylimelts in the past but haven’t used them for quite a while.  All the very best, Ollie.

0 Kudos
MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ollie. I am hoping that will work for you. Keep fighting!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.